Chapter 10

Toast knows that he and Sykkuno's conversation didn't end well.

He screwed up.

So Toast was not surprise that when morning came, his brother was really quiet all throughout their breakfast and on the way to their university. Sure, Sykkuno talked to him but it feels forced and his replies are short and timid.

As if he doesn't want to talk to him, which hurt a little bit but Toast knows he deserves it.

"Do you even trust me?"

That statement from his brother kept on replaying like a broken record in Toast's mind, slowly torturing him, echoing non-stop.

"Toast?"

Toast snapped back from his thinking as he heard Scarra call out his name, he quickly put on his blank face, hoping that Scarra wouldn't notice his sudden change in demeanor "...Is something wrong?" he questioned

Scarra just looked at him, as if already knowing what is happening inside his mind, and of course this shouldn't surprise Toast anymore after all he and Scarra has been friend for a very long time now, they can read each other like an open book.

"You are thinking too loud." Scarra simply said

Toast chuckled "Does it bother you?"

Scarra hummed "Not much but..." Scarra looked at him briefly before turning his attention towards the book he was reading "I know whatever your thinking... is bothering you real hard right now."

Toast stayed silent, which made Scarra sigh "Did something happen between you and your brother?"

Toast hummed leaning back on his chair "Not surprise that you know..." he mumbled

Scarra chuckled lightly "You only become like this when it involves Sykkuno." He said in a matter of fact "Not that I blame you."

"He asked me again."

That made Scarra look at him in surprise, fully knowing what Toast is talking about "What brought that up?" he asked "I thought... he wouldn't ask again... after all it's been years since the last time he asked you and your Mom right?"

Toast sighed heavily "The topic was brought up because... we wouldn't be able to celebrate Christmas with Mom. She has to work that day." Toast glance at him, eyes conveying a message that Toast fully knows that Scarra would immediately get.

That made Scarra close his book, turning his whole attention to Toast "No way..." he mumbled in clear disbelief "What would happen if..."

Toast shakes his head "Mom wouldn't let that happen." He said with steeled certainty, his eyes glaring at the distance "That fucking bitch..."

Scarra looked at Toast with concern displayed in his expression, After all Toast rarely gets genuinely angry, so seeing him with that kind of glare and expression made Scarra uneasy. "Toast..." he mumbled

Toast cleared his throat in an attempt to compose himself "I can't believe it... the timing is too perfect." He mumbled anger evident in his tone of voice "It's like she calculated this shit to happen. I swear to god..."

Scarra's eyes widen in understanding "Your Dad's death anniversary..." he mumbled in realization

Toast nodded "I... I can't deny Sykkuno if he would want to visit Dad but..." Toast sighed, hands already massaging his forehead "I don't know what to do Scarra, I'm stressing out so hard because of this."

Scarra placed a comforting hand on his shoulder "I'm sure everything would work out... eventually." He said as he removes his hand from Toast's shoulder "Or... you could always just... say the truth to him you know..."