22. GOODBYE

GOY
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: GOODBYE

stiles' hand was unusually cold

stiles' hand was unusually cold. his hand slowly pushed the stray blonde locks away from her eyes. the action had the small girl flinching awake from her deep slumber. thick brows pinched together in confusion as her eyes screwed themselves open, trying to adjust to the hospital lighting. a small groan left the pouty lips and she blinked quickly.

"aurora..."

it wasn't stiles.

aurora sat up straight in her bed, eyes widening at the sight of the boy in front of her. the beep of the monitor besides her bed quickened with her heartbeat when her panicked chocolate eyes settled on her cousin before her. he looked paler than usual, a nervous and sheepish look against his face. aurora looked around quickly, practically ignoring her sleeping boyfriend in the seat besides her. she tried searching for the help button, but before she could even reach for it that gruff voice sounded again.

"don't, please." blonde locks snapped back in his direction, her eyes narrowing. "i-i just wanted to make sure you were okay, a-and i bought this with me." she followed his moving arm towards, eyeing her stuffed puppy in his ring clad fingers. the small girl refused to take it from his grip as she shook quietly in the bed, motioning for him to leave it against the end of the bed. he did so quietly.

"h-how did y-you even get i-in?" her voice was scratchy from the lack of talking and wavered with her emotions, tears welling in the pools of her eyes.

"i move quick."

"so i've h-heard." her words were laced with sarcasm. he sighed upon hearing it, shuffling quietly.

the raven haired boy went to say something, his mouth opening, but being cut off by a particularly loud and rumbling snore. the relatives heads both turned towards stiles in his chair, sat with his cheek awkwardly squished against broad shoulder, the hood of his hoodie covering his forehead and parts of his eyes.

"does he always sleep like that?"

"p-pretty much." she shuffled uncomfortably.

jacob cleared his throat. "i'm sorry. i really am, i should've never done that to you." she nodded along to his words, eyeing him. "i wasn't in control. and i d-don't mind if you hate me, you know. i would hate me too."

"i-i don't hate you. even if you went all es hora de comer on me." she pushed her hair out of her eyes with shaky hands, actually silently wishing for her boyfriend to jump awake in the seat besides her bed. "i-it just can't happen again, j-jacob. never again."

stiles stirred quietly in his sleep.

"it won't ever happen again." he promised, dark eyes glimmering in the light. "because... i'm leaving."

"c-come again?"

"i can't risk that happening again, rory. and in a place like beacon hills, blood is always just around the corner. i cant afford to lose you, all these people need you." he pointed to the cards at the end of her bed that she hadn't even realised were there. how long had she been asleep for? "i'm leaving tonight, and i wanted to say goodbye."

"b-but you promised." her lip wobbled. "you promised this time would be different, and that you wouldn't just back up and l-leave again!"

a sigh left his lips. "i don't have a choice."

"there's always a choice."

"not this time." he shook his head. "i'm sorry, aurora. for everything. i love you." the tiny girl reached out for him as he stepped away, moving closer and closer to the glass door.

"d-don't go-" she was cut off by her own sob as he seemed to vanish from thin air, a quick blur being the only thing reminding her that he was ever even there. the beeping of the monitor spiked once again as the frail girl tried to push herself up and out of the bed, but she failed miserably. aurora stumbled into stiles' sleeping figure with a cry, startling him awake.

the raven haired boy's warm hands instantly encircled themselves around her forearms, his eyes widening as aurora trembled and stumbled. he hadn't spoken to her since she caught him outside the office, and he had planned on her having a nicer wake up than stumbling out of bed alone. suddenly, he caught on to the whimpers and cries that left her lips and he watched the tears fall away from her pretty brown eyes. in an instant stiles pulled his little girl into him, setting her down on his lap and petting down her head. he shushed her quietly, trying his best to comfort the broken girl.

"shh, angel." he kissed her clammy forehead, not catching her flinch against the action. "what's wrong? i'm here, i'm right here, sweet girl."

"h-h-hes gone!" she cried out, her fist burning itself in his shirt. he could feel the two wet patched forming against the fabric but couldn't care less. despite the harsh situation of the crying little girl he couldn't be happier to have her in his arms; she was okay. "h-he's g-gone."

"who's gone?" he stilled, as though he knew the exact answer to his own question.

"jacob!" she sobbed harder, no doubt snotting against his top. stiles' grip unintentionally tightened against her and she whimpered.

"was he here?!" she nodded slowly against his chest, dainty shoulders moving up and down with the pattern of her cries. the loving boy pulled her back quickly, trying to examine her. "god, rory, did he hurt you? what is it? are you okay?" he rushed, hands lingering over her skin as his eyes skimmed over her trembling form. she didn't look physically hurt, but the look in her chocolate eyes told him all that he needed to know. he was sure that he felt his own soften at the sight and he pulled her back in, shushing her once again.

she cried for what seemed like hours. when a nurse finally noticed they ensured that she payed back down and calmed down. this sort of emotion won't help her get any better. the chubby woman had said, but aurora could only stare blankly at her.

jacob was gone again, and with it he had ripped out a piece of her heart.

GOY
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: GOODBYE