Chapter 8 : Drawback

The silence made my ears ring and the tension in the air could've been cut with my fingernail. I was walking beside Tomura in complete silence, mapping out the In-Between and making turns till we'd make it back to base, the whole time I didn't dare speak unless spoken to.

I knew I fucked up and I fucked up bad, I showed mercy for that wannabe hero because of a damn question. And hell if it wasn't for that I could tell that Tomura was mad at me because of how hard he was scratching his neck and resisting the urge to dust me on the spot. I knew I should've shot him, kicked him, hurt him, do something that showed my commitment!

And what did I fucking do!? ... I-I... I let him go.

I let that boy go because he asked me one question that made me hesitate and now I'm in more trouble than that over grown toucan who tried to tell Tomura what to do. And trust me, it didn't end well for him.

The only sounds I could focus on were the footsteps, those from my platform boots and Tomura's red sneakers against the concrete. Other noises I could manage to latch onto and focus on to branch out my thoughts was the distant bustling of the city, cars going by at the alley exits I walked past, the wind that blew through the hallow gaps of the buildings and Tomura's raspy breaths.

Anything to zone out as I concentrated on mapping out my path through the labyrinths on my watch, but I couldn't help but flinch when Tomura's voice growled out through his masked mouth, he couldn't finish his sentence before apologizing for scaring me. He knew why he scared me, he knew why I flinched.

"Sorry, but, why the fuck did you let him go!?" he yelled at me, rightfully.

I took a minute to take a deep breath, stopping in place, closing my hologram map from my watch and making my chest rise and fall slowly, my outward breath coming out in a tremble. I didn't notice it at first, but, my hands were shaking.

My trembling body turned to face away from Tomura, I didn't want to look him in the eye, it was that same feeling from the training simulation incident. If I dared to look and acknowledge how pissed off he was, I knew I'd start to crumble and break down right then and there like a pathetic little bitch. I took off my mask so I could catch my breath and breathe properly. I needed to take a few more deep breaths to calm my shakes before I could even respond.

My voice was breaking like shattered glass when I whimpered out my response, "I-I... I didn't think he deserved it... Not yet, he needs to prove if he's worth the kill."

That's when I could look back at him, my arms scrunched up, holding my chest together like my pounding heart was gonna burst right out of it and my arms were the only thing keeping it from making a jailbreak out of my rib cage onto the concrete floor. The pounding of my heart would at least create a sound louder than the ringing silence. My shoulders were tense and spiked up, my entire body tightly bound together like a tightly wrapped ticking time bomb.

Little did I know, I was more like a ticking time bomb than I should've assumed.

He looked down at me, a disappointed look in the crimson empty abyss of his eye. I felt myself sink into the concrete in embarrassment when he turned away from me and kept walking towards base. I followed behind him close, not even using my directions as a guide anymore because I had to trust Tomura no matter what in order for him to not kill me or consider me as some kind of weak link.

It didn't take much longer before we got to the entrance of our abandoned tavern we called our headquarters, and the whole time I managed to hold my tongue, half of my ashamed expression hidden from my bulky gas mask.

Kurogiri was manning the counter behind the bar as usual, Toga sitting on a nearby bar stool, swinging her legs and laying over the counter staring at a fresh vial of blood she'd been caressing.