33

I just want to say a massive thank you! We have reached over 100k reads! I honestly remember when I was celebrating by tens and hundreds, it still baffles me that I get to talks in thousands. Honestly thank you all of you lovely readers, new and old, I am so overjoyed and grateful. Hope you enjoy this chapter and continue to engage with and enjoy Grace's misadventures!

Emma xox

25th August 2010

Just shoot me. Please.

She felt like she was floating, up high above everyone else - away from all her problems and troubles. The world seemed to have be set right and there she soared, unbothered by all that had plagued her.

Then a dull throbbing on her head grounded her again.

The world was still broken, but she was still part of it. He hadn't shot her, instead he had taken the butt of the gun and slammed it into her head. He needed her alive, he had muttered, a hostage was more useful that a dead body. Besides, no one would look twice at a guard escorting a visitor out of the prison.

The gun was now holstered, but he likely did not need it to kill her - the strength in his little finger could probably see to that, he certainly was no vampire but humans could be terrifying enough on their own.

He had evidently been planning his escape long before the riots start, he may have even instigated them for all she knew, what was clear though was that he knew where he was going. Every twist and turn of this maze he seemed to know with certainty which way to go. When she faltered his iron grip tightened round her arm to the point where she couldn't feel her hand properly.

Her feet where dragging along the floor as she stumbled forward under his grip.

"Can you not walk?" He snapped, spinning her round so that they were facing each other but her eyes wouldn't rise to meet his. "Look at me." He dropped her arm to her relief, but a feeble yelp escaped her lips as it relocated to her chin and then to her neck, moving her head up and then finally dragging her close. She was so close she could feel his hot and uncomfortable breath. "Get me out of here and then you can have your death wish, perhaps we can have some fun first though." He held her by the neck so tight that her feet barely grazed the floor, thankfully she only hung there for a few seconds before her dropped her.

Her hands flew to her neck as she tried not to hasp for air, she was terrified and in pain, but was resolved not to show anymore weakness. She was through being thrown around like a doll - the day had been one hit after the other, both emotionally and physically she was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to crawl into a hole and hibernate for eternity. First though she had to get herself out, Stefan was nowhere to be seen - the fire and sheer size of the prison had truly separated them, hopefully he would come soon perhaps even with help but she had no idea when that would be or even if he would be able to find her.

No.

She had to rescue herself. Again.

Suddenly like a comfort she could feel a weight in her boot that she had all but forgotten about. The guard at the entrance had been right, she had tripped the metal detector - he should have searched her. 

From Gloria's bar she had slipped a safety assurance, dagger or knife - call it what you will - it was sharp and she had worn knee high boots so that she could carry it without needing to explain herself to Nik or Stefan or anyone else.

Drawing herself to her full height she raised her hands before settling them behind her head and turning her back to him, not thinking to question her sudden willingness his hand settled on the scruff of her neck before marching off again. Though this time he didn't need to shove or pull her along, she held her head high and walked with purpose. All she needed to do was wait for an opportune moment - when he would have his guard down, regardless of how calculating she could be there was no way she could outright overpower him.