Chapter 9 - No more

Daemon POV

I landed finally. A long-ass flight, my head still hurt, and the jet lag was defiantly getting to me. I stepped into the waiting area or lobby or whatever it was with a yawn, rubbing my eyes as I walked to the luggage pick up. I had this sinking feeling still in the back of my head though, and I felt like someone was watching me. I glanced around before hurrying my steps to the luggage pickup, grabbed my bags, and left the airport. I took a taxi to the nearest motel, sighing in relief when I was behind a closed and locked door. The place wasn't the cleanest motel I've ever stayed in, but it would do for now. Speaking of, I'd probably have to notify my landlord back in Ireland that I left at some point...

I walked through a small door to find the main bedroom, a queen-sized bed sitting in the middle of the room. An old-looking TV sat on a stand in front of it, the remote and some pamphlet on the nightstand with a lamp. I flopped on the bed, not really caring if it was slightly stiff. Most motel beds were anyway. I closed my eyes as sleep overtook me, as much as my brain was screaming at me to stay awake.

Because I could still feel something close by, something lurking in the shadows. Something, or someone, watching me.

---

Matias POV

I surveyed him from a distance, watching him get off the plane with a yawn. I smiled slightly beneath the mask I was wearing at the cute gesture. I followed him from far enough away that he couldn't smell me, but he seemed to notice something was off and sped up his pace, grabbing his bags and leaving the airport. I followed him with my eyes from the doors of the airport as he got in a taxi and sped off. I motioned to the black SUV sitting nearby to follow the taxi, and it took off. I sighed, running a hand down my face and pulling the useless mask off in the process. People shot me some strange looks, and other werewolves steered clear of me. The Alphas of this area had been notified of the situation and were willing to help, well, some were. Others didn't care and just told me not to bother them. Friendly.

I stepped out of the airport and into the open world, the breath of fresh air slightly relieving. I walked over to another car that would take me to my hotel to decide what to do next. I watched out the window as we drove in the opposite direction my mate had driven off in. It irked me, and my wolf, to go in a different direction but I didn't really have a choice. Half an hour later when we pulled into the hotel parking lot I received a text saying Daemon had stopped at some motel and the address of said motel. I exited the car with a sigh, grabbing my bag, and walking into the big building.

I received my key card and took the stairs up to my room since I didn't feel the need to be on the elevator. I dropped my bag near the door when I stepped into the room, taking in my surroundings. It was a nice room with a spacious kitchen and living room, a small table probably for dinner uses or something with four tables seated around it, and a door that leads to the bedroom. The room only had one bed because I didn't see the need for more. I walked into the bedroom and glanced around, the king-sized bed sitting in the middle of the room, a flat-screen TV mounted on the wall, another door leading to the attached bathroom, and nightstands on either side of the bed, both with lamps and alarm clocks on them. I dropped onto the bed, falling back onto my back and looking up at the ceiling. I sighed, closing my eyes but not for long. I opened them again after a minute, sitting back up to lean forward on my knees.

My mate was so close, and my wolf was screaming to go find him now. I knew I couldn't yet. It was still too early, I had to let him think nothing was around, he was safe and not near me before I would go find him. As cruel as that was, him having a false sense of security was the only way for me to get to him. I hated that that was how it had to be, but I didn't have a choice.

I looked over at the clock to see it was really early in the morning, maybe around 1 AM ish. Jet leag was starting to get to me, and I tried my hardest to brush it off, needing to stay awake and alert to get my job done. Not really a job but you get the point. My wolf was still pacing in my head, snarling slightly, filling my head with the most recent sightings of my mate to try and push me to go get him now. I snarled back at him, standing up and walking to the bathroom as I tried to ignore the beast. I turned the faucet on and splashed my face with water, debating whether or not I could shower. I decided against it and left the bathroom after using the toilet.

I left my room shortly after, stalking into the kitchen as I grabbed my phone that I had dropped on a counter. I looked at the most recent message. Sent five minutes ago.

XXX-XXX-XXXX: He's asleep.

I breathed in deeply, my eyes briefly shifting from their normal dark brown state to a golden hue. My wolf was trying to push through, knowing that we could go find him now.

And honestly, I let him.

---

Daemon POV

I fell asleep, but not for long. It might have been less than an hour before I startled awake, my wolf howling about something again. I snarled at him, willing him to shut up but he didn't. He was happy about something and that only meant one thing. He'd followed me again. He was coming.

I shot up off my bed as nerves raced through me, not knowing what to do. I don't think I could get away this time. He knew where I was once and he would keep following me now. I know he probably had people working with him, otherwise, there was no way he would have found me in the first place. I was panicking, therefore I was standing in the room as I shook and not running away immediately.

After maybe a minute or two I finally came to my senses and rushed from my room through the small motel room to the front door where my suitcase still sat. I could feel him close again, and I was scared I wouldn't have enough time to get out.

Luck was slightly on my side though as I opened the door and he wasn't standing right there, my luck ran out when I realized no taxis were going around at this hour. Shit. Shit. Shit.

I rushed from the room, stopped quickly at the front desk, dropping the room key on the counter, before continuing my running. My bag wasn't too heavy, but it was defiantly a slight nuisance. I ran into a small town that was near the motel. A bunch of run-down shops and bars, and once again there was the occasional drunk leaving a bar and stumbling down the sidewalk. I had stopped running but was basically jogging with how fast I was walking. My head was darting around and my eyes were wild as I looked for any sign of him.

I was running out of time though, and the only way I could get out of here was a taxi, and I couldn't find any. I kept walking through, bypassing bars and people occasionally until I found what I needed.

Once again, luck was on my side as I saw a taxi sitting on the side of the road, a man leaning against it with a cigarette hanging from his lips. I started to walk up to him with a sigh of relief, nerves still racing through my system, clouding my mind.

And then my luck finally ran out when maybe three steps from the taxi, a large hand gripped my arm, and sparks flooded my entire system, almost making me collapse. My wolf was howling in pleasure as he immediately recognized the touch and the smell that I failed to notice in my blind search for the taxi.

And my vision went blurry as I was spun around to see the tall figure of my mate. Black dots clouded my vision, his touch burning my skin.

"Got you." His deep voice rumbled. And the last thing I saw was his golden eyes burning into me before I passed out.