Chapter Fifteen - Bloody Knuckles and Broken Bones

I felt like a child being buckled into a car seat the way Luca manhandled me into the passenger seat of his truck.

Wordlessly, he reached across me and buckled me up before slamming the car door shut to walk around to the driver's side.

I sat quietly as he started the truck and drove off, gently cradling my right hand against my stomach and covering it with my left.

The back of my hand was throbbing, especially around my last two knuckles. My fingers were numb and I could barely move them.

I knew it was likely broken.

I held back tears as the adrenaline levels in my body began to lower and allowed me to fully experience the shooting pain in my hand.

An awkward few minutes passed by before we pulled up to the gate in front of his house and drove down his driveway. As soon as the truck was parked in Luca's garage, I reached down and unbuckled my seatbelt, getting out of the car as soon as I had done so.

I could hear Luca calling after me as I walked quickly across the breezeway, through the side door and into the house. I made it into the living room, almost to the staircase when Luca slammed the side door shut behind him as he came in.

"Stop."

Hearing his low, stern command, my feet froze in their tracks.

My mouth gaped in shock at his tone as I turned to look at him.

"Do not use your Alpha tone on me ever again," I warned him.

Before he could say anything else, Luca noticed that I had tucked my injured hand under my left arm.

As he walked towards me slowly, I gulped, knowing that I'd been caught.

"Let me see your hand," he said.

I clenched my jaw, making no effort to move.

Luca reached out and grabbed my elbow, gently pulling my arm towards him. Not wishing to cause anymore pain to my hand, I released my arm to fall into his grasp.

He let out a slow breath as he saw the swollen knuckles that were tinged pink.

As Luca slowly turned my hand over in his, I realized how much bigger his hands were than mine. I also noticed how much my hand was shaking, but I wasn't quite sure if I could narrow down the cause of that to just one thing.

"Can you bend your fingers?" He asked me.

I shook my head, having already tried.

Still holding my injured hand, Luca reached into his back pocket and pulled out his phone with his other hand. He dialed a number quickly before putting the phone up to his ear.

"I need you over at my house as soon as you can get here," he said.

I heard incoherent mumbling on the other line before Luca continued:

"Just get here when you can."

He hung up the phone before giving the person on the other side of the call a chance to respond.

"I need to shower," I said, pulling my hand from his grasp.

He let me go and I turned to walk upstairs.

After managing to shower the best I could with one hand, I changed into a t-shirt and sweatpants. I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere else anytime soon.

I wasn't even sure I wanted to leave the house again.

As I was walking down the stairs, I heard an unfamiliar voice.