Chapter 29

JASPER'S POV

Word had spread of an invisible entity that had dared inflict harm upon their Luna, a Luna they had yet to meet though rumours of her arrival had been swirling for weeks now. Speculations were brought forth about where the attack may have come from, the most prominent being that rogues must be conspiring with witches.

The supernatural world, though vast, seldom inter-mingles. Each species keeps to themselves, if not for self-preservation, to maintain the natural order among our kind. It is very rare to hear of two species conspiring with one another, let alone pulling off an attack like this. Which begs the question of why they would start now and certainly why they were after the Luna. Do they seek to weaken the pack and our rule over the werewolf species by weakening the Alpha? If so, what was the reason for it. 

"ay-son." Her raspy voice calls out, her eyes flattering open from her comatose state. Both my brothers rush to her side, each thinking it was them she'd called out to.

It's been three days since the attack. Three whole days she has laid in that bed unresponsive, both my brothers at her side, regret weighing on their shoulders. Her lifeless form was haunting, even more haunting was the paralyzing fear each felt as they touched her flesh. I too had felt it, it was an indescribable hell.

"Jace." She breathes, a ghost smile dancing on her features as her eyes land on Jason. It seemed she was unaware that her mate was standing on the other side of the bed, jealousy surely eating away at him at the sight before his eyes.

"Hey beautiful." Jason mutters, his choice of words surely aggravating the tension between him and Greyson. Though I have tried to keep them at a distance, tension continues to mount between them. I was beginning to grow tired of their childish ways, and certainly of being Switzerland. 

A low growl rumbles under Greyson's breath, drawing the Luna to the other side of the bed where he stood glaring at his own brother murderously.

"Greyson." Shock overcomes her features as she turns to the source.

"Hi Love." Greyson's eyes soften as they leave Jason, now fully focusing on the Luna.

It was truly a wonder the effect she has on him. Only she can pull him back from the brink of his wrath in split seconds, turning him into mush instantaneously.

"You came back." Tears well up in her eyes at the sight of him standing right in front of her after what seemed endless days. She shifts from her position on the bed  wanting to get up, too quickly that her frail protests, a pained groan escaping her. 

"Hey. Take it easy. I'm right here love."

"I thought something bad had happened to you." She muffles into his shoulder, their arms locked in an intimate embrace.

"I missed you too, Love." He utters the words she cannot bring herself to speak though it is evident to us all that's exactly how she felt.

The atmosphere had shifted. I felt out of place, like I was intruding on an intimate moment. Where it was awkward for me to witness, it seemed painful for Jason to watch. I wondered as I followed behind a green-eyed Jason, if my eyes dared deceive me.

"Jason. Wait."

"What is it now brother." He grumbles, seemingly annoyed.

My eyes search his eyes hoping to find something that contradicts what my eyes would have me believe was true. Yet sadly what I found seemed to feed my suspicion.

"Oh Jason. This is a dangerous path you tread on. It can only end in pain and bloodshed. Please brother, I beseech you, stop this madness now."

"What madness?" His forehead creases, his eyes filling with slight confusion.