Chapter 15-Sophie

Sophie wished for the millionth time that the Black Swan had given her coordination.

Dancing in the opening ceremonies was difficult enough, but being clumsy too?

No thanks.

She also wished that the costumes weren't so ridiculous. The saber tooth tiger costume made her look like a colorblind vampire.

Perfect.

Keefe hadn't complained about not going. He had said he was going to visit the school, but alone, with only Ro, and prank someone for his last night. Although he had told Sophie that if she didn't bring him back a pile of candy, that he would be severely disappointed.

Dex retied his cape, "I can't wait until we graduate," he whispered. They were waiting for their turn to dance onto the stage. Sophie, unfortunately, had to go before him.

Fortunately though, the dance was relatively simple. Spin, jump, land on knees, jump again, and spin off stage.

Appparently, they had taken into account that Sophie was a klutz.

Or maybe Magnate Leto did.

"Yeah, then we don't have to wear these stupid things. " Marella agreed.

"At least we're not the yetis," Lihn slung an arm around Tam. He was sulking. His face was shadowed by the hood of his cape, his silver tips the only thing on his face that was visible.

Sophie wiggled her fangs. That was the worst part. The cloaks were too hot, and the fangs itched against her lips.

The prodigies in front of her begin to shuffle forward, some hissing complaints to each other.

Stina flounced past. "Don't trip over my cape," She said to Sophie.

Sophie rolled her eyes. "There's not an ounce of decency in her, is there?" She didn't wait for an answer. "Also, weren't we getting along for a while?"

Biana shrugged. "Kind of, but that girl is fickle."

"Don't worry, " Dex whispered, "I put an elixir in her bottle of youth earlier. Having a unibrow isn't really a trend right now."

Tam snorted.

"Did she realize?" She asked Dex.

Dex grinned wickedly. "Nope. She's going to have a fun surprise later tonight."

Sophie almost felt bad for her.

***

Sophie searched through the crowd for her parents. She spotted Grady through the knot of prodigies and their families. The Vacker's were standing with them.

Dex nudged her. "Hurry up. My parents are gonna make me watch the triplets if I don't hang with you guys."

Sophie obliged, weaving through the crowd. She was actually glad that the vampire outfit had a hood. No one whispered at her, or distanced themself from her. She was just another prodigy.

Biana had her hood thrown back. Once again, she managed to look amazing, even in the ruby cloak and fangs.

Fitz stood next to her staring at the ground. His face was tight, as if he was angry.

Grady noticed them first. "Hey, Kiddo." He pulled her into a hug. "We miss you at home," he whispered.

Sophie's throat tightened. "I miss you guys too,"

She released him and hugged Edaline.

"Did my packet come?" She asked.

Edaline nodded. "I brought it for you."