eight // terms & conditions

THE DINING ROOM THAT BELONGS to the Hemmings' house is where we will discuss my and their priorities. The huge, royal-blue gathering room could seat up to fifteen people around the oblong of a table. On the walls hang multiple old oil-paintings of various different landscapes, which are each framed by polished gold. Overall, it's quite grand and well-kept. Liz has obviously spent a long time cleaning this room.

I am joined by Luke, Liz, Michael, Calum, and Ashton, as well as Luke's father, who seems to be very quiet. Each of them look at me with the same, curious expression. Seated next to me is Luke, his arm draped across the back of my chair as he plays silently with my dark hair, sending the electricity humming through me. Now that I know why it's there, I don't mind it. I welcome it, and allow the tingle to relax me. Liz is sat on my other side, her gentle eyes hazed over with sleep. I feel really guilty, as she's constantly awake due to my nightmares. Apparently, she has the ability to read minds, so I have to be careful when I think about her son.

"Alright," I begin, figuring that they would get impatient pretty soon if I didn't hurry. "I understand that I'll be living here for God knows how long, and I'll be cooperative if my conditions are accepted." Everybody nods except from Luke, who remains passive, and continues to toy with my hair, twirling strands around his fingers as if oblivious to my words. Though he heard them clearly. "First, I need to know everything that is going on. This whole 'don't tell Ridley' business is driving me crazy. And living in a house full of lies is not healthy for any person." Again, they nod, so I continue. "Second, I need to breathe. Privacy is very important to me, so if it isn't too much trouble, I would like to have my own room."

This grabs Luke's attention, as he stops playing with my hair - much to my dismay - and stares at his mom expectantly. Liz has this disapproving look on her face as she eyes her son, and then turns to me, smiling softly. "Of course, that's understandable. There are plenty of vacant rooms around this house, so you can take your pick." Her eyes then flicker back to Luke, who she points at and warns about his language. She obviously heard inappropriate thoughts running through his mind. I smile smugly.

"And lastly, normality is key. So, I want to continue my studies at school," I say finally, to which Luke flips at. Okay...

"No," he breaks out. "It's too risky. They know which school you attend - some of them applied just to find you."

"Exactly, some, not all. And how suspiscious would it be if I suddenly disappeared?" I ask, though secretly I know that nobody would really care.

Ashton apparently chooses to stick up for me. "She's right, Luke. People will ask questions, and if she keeps a low profile, what's the harm? I say yes." I smile at him gratefully, and at the others as they nod in agreement. And although I know Luke is only thinking about my well-being, he's being ridiculous.

Those hypnotic blue eyes pierce into me, and the frown on his lips reminds of that of a boy who isn't getting his own way. I really want to see him smile, but I also need to stand my ground. So I do, and he scowls at me distastefully. "Fine," he growls, sliding his chair out from beneath him as he speaks. "You can go. But I'm making them change my schedule so that it's the same as yours. You go back on Monday." And like that, he storms out of room without a second glance.

A few minutes of silence tick by, and Liz is the one who broke it by offering to show me the available rooms. She tells me that the house used to be a Foster home, so there are plenty of rooms. There is one room that immediately grabs my attention. It's spacious, with a double-bed that has white, prestine sheets drawn across it. There is also a wall that has a built-in CD case, which would be perfect for storing my music. There is an en-suite bathroom, and a walk-in wardrobe that is literally half the size of the room itself, as well as glass-plated doors that leads to a balcony. Like me, the room is modern. I tell Liz that I want this room, so she leaves me to settle in.