Chapter 16: Last Chance, Connor

Connor's POV

I open my eyes and I'm back in the Zen Garden. It's snowing and there's snow and ice covering the ground. I find Amanda in the middle of the garden and walk towards her, being careful of the ice around me.

"After what happened today, the country is on the verge of a civil war." She's talking about the march the deviants did just a few hours ago. I saw it on the news. "The machines are rising up against their masters. Humans have no choice but to destroy them."

"I thought Kamski knew something. I was wrong."

"Maybe he did. But you chose not to ask."

Amanda

I decide it's just best to say nothing.

Then I start asking questions of my own.

"I'm not a unique model, am I? How many Connor's are there?"

*Software Instability *

Amanda

"I don't see how that question pertains to your investigation," Amanda responds.

"Wh... Why did Kamski leave CyberLife? What happened?"

"It's an old story, Connor. It doesn't pertain to your investigation."

"I saw a photo of Amanda at Kamski's place. She was his teacher."

"I expect you to find answers, Connor. Not ask questions."

Amanda

She walks towards me. "You're the only one who can prevent civil war. Find the deviants or there will be chaos. This is your last chance, Connor."

Your POV

"You're off the case. The FBI is taking over."

"What?" Dad and I both ask.

Connor, Dad, and I share a look.

"But we're onto something!" I say.

"We... We just need more time. I'm sure we can—" Dad starts but Jeffrey cuts him off.

"Hank, you two don't get it. This isn't just another investigation, it's a fucking civil war! It's out of our hands now. We're talking about national security here."

"Fuck that! You can't just pull the plug now. Not when we're so close!" Dad shouts.

"You're always saying you can't stand androids! Jesus, Hank, make up your mind! I thought you'd be happy about this!"

"Captain, I would normally agree with you but we're about to crack the case! I know it's not my place to speak but I know we can solve this case. We just need a little more time!" I speak up.

"For God's sake, Jeffrey, can't you back me up this one time?" Dad says.

Jeffrey shakes his head and gives us a somber look. "There's nothing I can do. You're back on homicide and the android returns to CyberLife."

I look at him in shock. 'No! They can't do that!'

"I'm sorry, you two, but it's over."

Dad and I don't say anything and just leave the office. Dad sits at his desk and I sit on his desk. The two of us, not saying a word as we look down to the ground. Connor comes over to us a few moments after us and sits next to me on top of Dad's desk.

"We can't just give up like that. I know we could have solved this case!"  Connor says frustratedly.

Dad turns in his chair to face me and Connor. "So you're going back to CyberLife?"