Till We Meet Again

For this chapter, listen to Long Time Traveller by the Wailin' Jennys.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was so still. 

Felix lay atop the pyre, his arms crossed over his chest, his head tilted lightly to the side.

Genevieve stood a few feet away, a flaming torch in hand. She didn't know how she was holding it up. She felt so weak, she was surprised she hadn't yet dropped it, or even fallen to the ground herself. Yet, somehow, she remained strong.

A hand appeared at the small of her back as Damon came up beside her.

"We don't have to do this...you don't have to do this. We can bury him."

She shook her head firmly, though the effort to move hurt.

"No. He didn't want to be buried. He spent so much time on this earth, he didn't want anything left behind."

"And what about you?" Damon asked, before he could even think of the words coming out of his mouth.

She didn't even look at him as she replied, "I would like to be burned too. My entire life has been spent in a cage, of sorts. I've never truly been free. I would like to be burned, my ashes carried away by the wind, so I can finally be free."

There was a moment of silence, then Damon placed a soft kiss on her forehead, and turned, and walked away. Motioning to the others, who were standing behind her trying to offer what silent comfort they could, he wordlessly told them to give her some space. They followed him back through the trees, towards the house, leaving her in silence under the stars, the only sound was that of the waves crashing on the beach.

Torch still in hand, she slowly approached the pyre. If it weren't for the pale skin, and his still chest, she might have thought him sleeping. She placed a shaky hand on his own, startled by the chill of his touch.

"I'm so sorry, brother," she whispered, no one around to hear her except the owls in their trees. "I failed you. I promised to keep you alive, to protect you, and I failed."

Tears started to fall slowly from her eyes. She closed her eyes tightly for a moment, and let out a strained laugh, her head tilting back as she opened her eyes.

"I don't know how to do this without you. You've always been there for me, to pull me away from the edge. To keep me sane. To let me know I wasn't alone. And now I...I can't do this without you. I was already lost brother, and now, with you gone, I have no idea what the hell to do. I'm not the person you thought I was, and I hate that you had to die still believing that lie. And I wish that I could have told you the truth, but I'm a coward."

The tears began to fall in earnest now, and a wracked sob left her body.

"I miss you so much...but I want you to know...I'll be okay. I know what has to happen, and I know whats going to happen to me. But I'm okay with it. And maybe someday we'll see each other again."

She studied his features. The chiseled jaw that always inspired young ladies to swoon. The tousled hair that he never gave a damn about. The scar on his cheek from where she had to cut him with a stick when they were children. She bent over and planted a gently kiss on his forehead. A fond farewell, or perhaps just a see you later. 

She took a step back and brought the torch forward, hesitating for a moment, before lighting the pyre. Her arm fell to her side as the flames climbed higher and higher, the faint outline of his body still visible. 

"Regnum tuum anima sidera lunae lumine ducti," she whispered. "Ut ibi maneant nisi qui descendit caelo regnaturi."

May your soul enter the realm of the stars, guided by the light of the moon. 

May you there remain, until they fall down from the heavens.

A fond farewell...