Apology Accepted

Snape POV

Staring at the Pensieve, I pondered about what went wrong. Something was definitely off about this whole situation and Dumbledore is refusing to tell me anything. Oh this was so frustrating! Rewatching that memory made me feel nauseous. Something about that day changed everything. Something about that moment had made this year feel so weird. But why is it that, 20 years later, it was finally coming back to really hurt me?

There was a knock on my door and I turned to see Luna Lovegood at the door. Even though I didn't show it, I always took pity in her. I knew what it was like to be different and feel lonely. So calling her to my office seemed like my best option right now.

"Did you call for me Professor?" She asked dreamily.

"Yes," I replied. "Go fetch Mrs Haddrill for me please. And do it quick."

She skipped off. I had been waiting for a while now. I felt that I had been patient enough. But tonight was the night that I got answers. It took about 10 minutes before Luna returned, this time accompanied by another.

"Here she is sir," Luna said. "Is there anything else you needed?"

"No that will be all Mrs Lovegood," I dismissed her.

Once I heard skipping footsteps, I knew she was gone. But there was another figure stood in my room. I didn't dare turn to face her just yet. Because if it was what I think it was, I couldn't face it just yet.

"Professor?" the voice behind me said, her voice trembling.

I turned around. I could recognise those eyes anywhere. But something was just not ticking. She had red hair, not golden brown. But Ruby had a real skill for Potions, always topping my classes. She even beat Mrs Granger on some occasions. I only ever knew of one other person that could do it so naturally. Could it be the same person?

"Professor?" She said again, looking at me with a lot of confusion. "You asked for me."

I couldn't bring myself to say it. I had so many questions. So many answers I wanted to know. She wasn't the girl she said she was. I felt that Mrs Granger might have realized that as well a couple of times. No homeschooled student could get so good at Potions so easily, even after 5 years of practice.

She continued to stare at me with a lot of confusion. I decided I had to do it. I had to ask her. It was the only way I could find out what I wanted to know.

"Who are you?" I asked, a lot softer than what I usually thought I sounded like

She seemed to close her eyes, as though both expecting it but wanted to avoid it. I would have been surprised if Mrs Granger hadn't questioned her real identity before. She was too smart for what she is known as.

"I-I'm Ruby. Ruby Haddrill. Your student, Professor," she stumbled.

"Don't lie to me," I could feel the anger coming back. I didn't know where it came from. But it was coming soon and if she didn't own up, I was about to lose it, just like I did 20 years ago.

"What do you mean?"

"I think we both know what is going ok here," I said, thinking for a while. "Evans."

She gasped. I don't think she expected anyone to figure it out. I had. The first day I saw her. I just chose not to believe it. Now she had basically confirmed what I had been thinking all along.

"You knew?" She asked, bewildered.

"Of course I did."

"Then why didn't you say something?"

"I needed to be sure."

She started to cry, "Oh Severus..."

"I'm sorry," was all I could say.

"Sorry?"

"For everything," I continued. All my emotions, thoughts, regrets and feelings came flooding to me all at once. "I'm sorry for saying bad stuff about your sister. I'm sorry for trying to get you to join me. I'm sorry for...for calling you..."

I couldn't bring myself to say it anymore. I had rewatched that memory a thousand times. And each time, it pierced through my heart like a blunt dagger. I could never forget the look on her face. The way she lost all faith in me. The way she turned away and, 5 years of friendship, all gone in an instant. No matter how much I tried to apologise, she wouldn't buy it. But this time, I felt like I really did mean it.

"It's okay Severus," she said slowly. "I forgive you."

Lily POV

As soon as I said it, I didn't know if I would regret it or not. Of all the times he has tried to apologize, this time he really looked sincere. I think 20 years of waiting finally got to him. It gave him enough time to think about what went wrong. He has definitely changed, as far as I know. But it was for the better.

"Thank you," Severus said, leaning back on his table slowly to prevent him from falling. "But how? How did you get here?"

I told him about the story of the Time-Turner mishap, but I said nothing about how I had broken it. How it took us into the future and that Dumbledore told us to live through the fifth year with the others. After all the explaining, he finally nodded. Now that was out of the way, I had some questions of my own.

"You haved lived the 20 years since fifth year. Whereas I only just got here. Can you tell me where I am? I promise I won't tell anyone."

He thought about it for a moment, before he finally said, "I can't."

"What? Why?"

"Its your future. You shouldn't know what it is before you have seen it."

That made complete sense, and something I had been trying to tell James all year. But I really wanted to know. I knew what happened to James, I knew what happened to Sirius. I knew what would Remus be doing. Now I wanted to know my future. Oh God I was really starting to sound like him!

"Sorry Lily," Severus said again, this time turning away.

Knowing I wouldn't get anymore answers now, I thought it best to leave him to his thoughts.

"Wait."

Just as I was about to leave, I heard him stop me. Turning back around, I was still facing his back. But he must be really contemplating something, wondering whether to tell me or not.

"If..." He started. "If you really wanted to know, you could visit the Department of Mysteries."

"In the Ministry of Magic?"

"Yes. 97. Remember the number 97. Because it's very important for once you get there. There, you will learn everything you need to know."