27

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like, had I made a different decision, said a different thing or waited another second. Sometimes I look back on moments in my life with regret I shouldn't have, as if I should have known that those choices would have lead to what they did, and sometimes I think about those moments I've yet to encounter, how one little choice could trigger a wave of chaos that washes out my life. I dread the decisions I've yet to make.

Dream's currently flung out over the couch, snoring slightly, dead to the world. I adjust myself in my armchair, book spread out on my lap as I drift off back into my own thoughts. Dream shows me a fierce type of affection, and unparalleled protectiveness. He's filled with rage and aggression, a fiery heat that envelops me, that matches my own. He also reminds me of loneliness and being trapped, those horrible moments of darkness and emptiness that threaten to send me spiralling.

Wilbur shows me a gentle love, innocent and kind. There's a fatherly responsibility, and the supposedly everlasting bond of family glueing us together. Wilbur reminds me of the safety of home, the softness of friendly hugs and the cosiness of comfort. But, Wilbur also reminds me of razor sharp daggers of betrayal and the horrific terror that gripped me when I realised I couldn't go home.

I have a choice to make, and its a choice that I never thought I would have to make. There was never supposed to be a decision, never supposed to be another side to choose.

I snap my book shut, my eyes growing heavy. It's late at night, and being lost in my own thoughts, constantly, has drained me of any energy I had. I heave myself to my feet, even though I was tempted to just curl into the warmth of my chair and close my eyes. I pass Dream's unconscious form, and lean down to kiss him softly on the forehead, before flicking the light out and heading to my room.

I look at myself in the bathroom mirror. My face has sharpened into angles, hollowed out cheeks, defined jaw and pointed chin. Dark bags sag underneath my dull eyes, prominent against my pale skin. There's a scar running through my cheek, a fine pink fissure splitting my face into two. The girl in the mirror does not have my radiant glow of life, does not have the same hope in her eyes and she does not have the soft roundness that my face normally has. But the girl in the mirror, whose face has been carved by the hurt she has suffered, still holds her head up high, refusing to break. And after everything I've been through, that's enough for me.

There's a knock on my door. I turn, walk over and open it, Eret on the other side. He looks at me and smiles.

"Can I come in?" He asks.

"Yeah sure." I say, slightly confused. I let him past, and he sits down on my bed.

"Dream told me Wilbur came over today." He says. I nod, crossing my arms over my body.

"Yeah he did. He wanted to apologise for trading me for independence." I sigh, looking down at the floor.

"And what did you say? Same as you did to me?" Eret laughs, smile curving at his lips. I let out a huff of laughter.

"Pretty much, I called him a selfish dick and yelled at him for a bit."

"Well that's fair enough really."

"Says you, Mister Traitor Supreme."

"You have to stop calling me that." He rolls his eyes, grin lighting up his face. I chuckle, sitting down in the bed next to him, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"Are you going to forgive him?" Eret asks quietly. I think for a moment.

"Yeah, I am. I'm tired of hating people. I mean, I'm still pissed at him and everything, but I'm going to forgive him eventually, it's just going to take some time." I answer. I love Wilbur, and while what he did was disgusting and horrific, he's trying to make it right, and I know that there's a place in my heart for forgiveness.

"You're too good for this world Ro, you know that?" Eret mumbles, putting his arm around my shoulders and holding me close to him. "Too damn good for this world." I don't respond, closing my eyes as he presses his cheek into the top of my head. We sit like this for a little while, before he gets up and goes to the door, pausing right before it.

"You know, I would have thought you and Dream would share a bed by now." He teases with a grin. I feel my face burn as I sputter out incomprehensible responses, grabbing a pillow and lobbing it at his head as he walks out laughing.

Shaking my head, I slide under the cotton bedsheets, letting the smooth coolness wrap around me tightly. I soon drift off, enveloped by the inky blackness of sleep.

And then I'm in a room.

It's tiny, dark damp walls and the stench of mildew. There's no door, no windows, no vents, almost like a stone coffin. I can feel the panic begin to coarse through me, my heart rate ratcheting up, and all of the sudden I can't breathe, as if someone was squeezing my lungs. I try and gulp in as much air as I can, desperately pounding against the unmovable stone. Someone's screaming, and then I realise it's me.

Suddenly my screams die, my open mouth filled with dirt. I'm out of the room, and I can feel the earth on my skin and the crushing weight on top of my body. I frantically claw at the dirt, a wild animal desperate to get to the surface. The dirt feels like it's filling my lungs, and I slow, unable to breathe, running out of steam to keep fighting, sinking deeper underground.

Just as black starts to spot in my vision, I'm gripped by two strong arms, pulling me through the dirt, to the surface. The bright, dazzling sun hits my eyes, and I take in deep breaths of fresh air, curling my muddy arms around my shins as I rock back and forth on the soft grass. The arms embrace me again, smoothing my hair off my forehead and stroking my cheek. They lull me back to sleep in the sun, soothing words echoing in the distance.

When I open my eyes in the blurry dim of the morning, Dream is sleeping soundly beside me,  hand entwined stiffly around mine.

----------

A/N This chapter is a lot different from the others, as we get a really deep look into Rosie's thoughts and feelings. She now has a choice to make, Dream or Wilbur?

Please vote and comment, I really appreciate it and it helps a lot!

I hope you enjoyed,

Oopsies x