64

Don't miss the announcement after this chapter. It's very important.

~KUNMI~

For someone who practiced for the track as if her life depended on it, Aminah did not even flinch, did not even show any sign of sadness when she came second when Skye won. If anything, she just shrugged it off as if it was nothing extraordinary, as if she hadn't dedicated too much time to it.

It was after track and Limelight won gallantly. Mateo and Skye solidified their win and those two, damn! Those two! They were both the last legs for their school while Aminah and Adam were for ours and I couldn't even start to wrap my head around how fast they were, especially Mateo, one minute, he was being handed the baton, and the next minute, he was crossing the finish line.

It more like he used Jazz because I could have sworn that I did not even see him run at all.

"Skye is so fast that I did not even hold a candle to her. It was so obvious that I couldn't outrun her." Aminah was telling me, her voice full of childish awe. "Imagine me speaking in awe of someone that I lost to. Am I not supposed to dislike her or even hate her for the main time?"

I chuckled, at her tone, at her rhetorical question.

"Are you even capable of hating anyone?" I asked her, she was leaning against me as we walked back to the hostels. Her breathing was coming out unevenly, labored and from the way she had slowed the pace we were walking, it was obvious that walking was even a herculean task for her. She had dedicated so much time and energy to the contest that I was feeling so bad that she did not win.

But then, she came second and that was something too.

"Exactly! Am I even capable of hating anyone?" She trailed off, her arms digging into my flesh where she was holding my hand. When she spoke again, her voice was low, barely above a whisper that I had to strain my ears to hear her. "Maybe that'd be better if I could just hate some people if I could just..." She trailed off, muttered something I did not hear at all.

"God! Now, I'm so tired I need to sleep for 40 hours straight!" She yawned so loudly that I turned away from her.

"If you sleep for 40 straight hours, do you think you can wake up again?"

"Aaah," She turned towards me, her facial expression incredulous before she let go of my hands and she jogged quite a distance from where I was. "Just look at me," She said, gesturing to herself and twirling around, "As hale and hearty as I am, do you think that can happen to me?"

I dragged a low hiss underneath my breath. This Aminah self. But then that's not even possible.

When we got to our room, Sophia was lying on my bed, the duvet almost covering her entire body. She sat up immediately she saw us.

"You guys are finally here. I was starting to think you guys left me behind to go and enjoy somewhere."

I expected Aminah to reply, to jump at the opportunity to reply to Sophia since that was how it has always worked but that did not happen, instead, she barely paid attention to the fairer girl before she entered the bathroom leaving me to deal with Sophia and her ultimate weirdness.

Elyon and Tolani weren't in the room and I could guess that Elyon was with Jamal seeing that they already settled their misunderstanding just this evening, after the fight with the Atlantic Hall students.