66

~ADAM~

"Korede, shey bi oju aye se ri niyi?"

Korede, Is this how life is?

That was the first thing mom said to me when I picked her call. I smiled, then stifled the booming laughter.

"Mom, Good Morning."

"Gbenu dake jhare, what's good about the morning?"

My smile deepened and Kunmi who was sitting beside me eyed me warily, her facial expression blank. It had been that blank since she got here and I knew it had to do with Aminah. I heaved a sigh and I looked away from her.

"Mom, I'm sorry. I've just been busy with the contest and all."

"Gbenu dake,  who's the idiot you think you can lie to?" My lips stretched into a full blown smile at her accusatory tone. "Is this the first time you'll attend an in house competition? What happened to the Korede that'd call me morning, day and night everytime we weren't together?"

I dared a glance at Kunmi, She was still staring into space.

Well, that was before Kunmi happened.

"Mom, I did not want to disturb you. You're in Abuja and I should let you bond well with Aunty..."

"Yen yen yen. Look at what my grown up son is telling me. Are you even listening to yourself? You want me to bond well with my own sister!? And you did not even know that I'm already back in Lagos? Look at the son of the year."

I sat up straighter.

She was back in Lagos?

And dad was around?

"So, tell me, when am I going to meet the girl that's keeping my son away from me?"

"Mom, there's no gi..." I turned towards Kunmi again and I heaved a sigh, "Mom, it's not what you think it is. I miss you, I really do and I love you."

"Is that meant for me and the girl beside you?"

"Mom, there's no..." I trailed off and a breath, an obviously exasperated breath escaped my mouth.

Is the woman physic or what?

"Anyway, I miss you too and I can't wait to see you too. You're coming on Sunday, right? Don't worry, I'm going to cook your favourite so all the girls out there won't snatch you away from me."

My lips stretched into a deeper smile and I looked at Kunmi.

I think one already did.

"Omolara!!"

That was dad's voice, a very angry bellow to his usual loud voice. Mom winced.

I heard that. I heard her wince.

Followed by ruffles of sheets and shuttles of feet. That meant she was getting out of bed.

My face contorted into a frown and my heart picked up that unsteady beat, painfully unsteady beat that I was now used to.

"Your dad is home, we'll talk lather, hmm?"

"Mom..."

"Hmmm?"

I heaved a sigh and I turned towards Kunmi again, an expression I couldn't decipher on her face but I could tell that she was worried and this time, it wasn't about Aminah again.

"I'll see you on Sunday."

When she spoke again, I could feel and hear the smile in her words, "Definitely."