Part 11

Before Conrad could process any thoughts, Amber has yanked her back into a cubicle.

The door outside had opened and closed, and Amber is avoiding everyone at the restaurant.

"Don't tell my brother I smoke," Amber demands, clasping Conrad's hands between hers.

"Yeah, no problem. Don't tell your brother I smoke," Conrad grins, and Amber laughs.

Her heart is still racing, but Amber showing her basic human kindness helps relax her a little.

"Oh, so you're not a regular Luna, you're a cool Luna," Amber laughs, and Conrad shrugs.

"Cool, yes, I suppose. I'm a Beta," Conrad whispers conspiratorially, excitement flowing through her veins. 

"That makes so much sense, holy shit," Amber exclaims, clapping a hand over her mouth.

Conrad looks at her in confusion, and Amber flaps a dismissive hand.

"The tattoos. The pack. Your build. It all makes a lot more sense than you being an Alpha Female, I knew Alpha James didn't have a daughter," Amber beams, her face inches away from Conrad's.

"Am, you in here?" A male voice yells, and Amber groans.

"Yeah, Theo, I'm a little busy," she hollers.

The man sighs, closing the door behind him.

"Could he not have mindlinked you that?" Conrad asks, raising a brow.

All the mated coupled she's seen - especially the younger ones - constantly mindlink each other.

"He hasn't marked me yet. Atlas' orders," Amber rolls her eyes, sitting on the tank and swinging her legs.

"Your brother controls your mate?" Conrad's curiosity gets the better of her, and Amber scowls.

"Theo's pack is this one. He's the third son, but he doesn't have the best relationship with his father, so he resides here when we're not at college," she quickly explains, lighting another cigarette.

Conrad scoots an inch or two away from Amber, not wanting her clothes to smell of smoke; she has enough issues at the moment.

"Oh. So it was a conditional joining?" Conrad confirms, and Amber nods, puffing on her cigarette. 

"Do you want to go outside? I feel bad for smoking inside," Amber shrugs, and Conrad nods, offering her hand to help the girl down. 

Amber takes the hand, jumping down.

She's in a pair of biker boots, and a black and dark purple flowery long sleeve mini dress, thick eyeliner surrounding her eyes.

"I thought you weren't coming home for another month?" Conrad asks as they walk out of the bathroom, and Amber shrugs.

Just as she's about to open her mouth, Atlas appears, his brows furrowed.

"Amber? When did you get here?" He asks, his face a picture of confusion as he hesitantly embraces his sister with a tight hug.

"About ten minutes ago. Theo is around here, somewhere. I'm kidnapping your mate, I'm going to introduce her to people our age, since you only have old people here," Amber rolls her eyes, and Conrad looks to Atlas hesitantly.

To her surprise, he's nodding with a wide smile.

"Go ahead. Have her back in an hour, by then they'll all be tipsy; they'll be nicer," he laughs, waving them off.

Conrad is shocked - she really expected him to say no and condemn her to deal with snarky Elders for the afternoon. 

Amber snags two glasses of champagne from a waiter, holding the porch door open for Conrad with her hip.