TWELVE

"____? You're zoning out again."

I shook my head slightly and brought myself back to this universe. Seiko gave me a concerned look but I just gave them a toothy smile, letting them know I was fine.

"She's been like that at work too." One of my coworkers, Sarah, chimed in.

Four of us decided to go out for drinks after a long day at the hospital. A school bus had rolled over on the highway so we had to help heal a bunch of high schoolers with broken bones.

"Give her a break, she had to go into the operating room today. She hates that." Seiko defended, wrapping their arm around my shoulder.

I took a sip of my margarita and bit down on the straw. Zoning out at work was not okay. But for the past couple days I couldn't stop questioning my morals.

I had gone back to live at my apartment the day after I slept with Dabi, not feeling as threatened.

"My mother would be thriving if she found out I was in the OR." I mumbled, slouched over.

The other nurse with us, Kwan, threw back a swig of beer and raised a finger, "Oh yeah! Wasn't your mom this prestigious doctor in Tokyo?"

My eyes wandered around the warm lit room, groups of friends and single people mingling and laughing. Sitting at the bar or small tables lifted high off the ground.

I noticed a table next to us with what looked to be a couple heroes off duty. Their capes draped down their backs and masks pushed up.

Can you drink in your hero uniform?

"Yup, that's her."

He grinned, in awe, "I remember hearing about her when I was a kid. She saved a bunch of lives after a natural disaster. It's really incredible how—"

"—I'm sure _____ has heard this story plenty of times." Seiko jumped in as gently as they could, trying to save me, "You want another beer? It's on me."

"Right. Sure! Thanks Seiko."

My friend raised their hand casually, calling over for a waiter. A pretty young blonde came up to our table and gave us a sweet smile.

"Hi, I'm Christa and I'll be taking over from your last waiter. He had to leave suddenly. Can I get you guys another round?" She asked, pulling out a pad and tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"He'll take another light beer and I'll just have some more Coke. You Sarah?" Seiko replied, nodding at our coworker.

My margarita glass was barely half empty, so I didn't need anything.

"No, I'm good." Sarah shook her head.

"Sure, I'll get those to you right away!" Christa chirped, she began turning around but stopped and flipped towards me a bit hesitantly, "I hope this isn't weird, but I love your hair."

My eyes widened, not expecting that compliment. Especially in my dazed slouched position.

I sat up and gave her a big smile,"Oh my god, thank you so much!"

She grinned and gave a quick nod, "Of course! Okay, be right back." And hurried off.

I felt an elbow jab into my side.

"OW!" I grabbed the spot and swiveled my head towards the culprit, "What the hell?!"

Seiko gave me a sour look, rubbing one of their horns, "Why do the pretty girls always hit on you."

Sarah and Kwan began laughing at my friends bitter behavior.

"What? No they don't. She was just being nice."