Chapter 4

Just as Lu Chen strode into the hut, his forefoot was caught under a man's outstretched leg. His body could not stop his motion in time and the momentum propelled him forward, nearly causing him to plant his face into the ground.

Fortunately, Lu Chen reacted in time. He planted his other foot on the ground and managed to regain his balance, only stumbling forward a few feet before he straightened himself back up. 

With a near-explosive temper, he turned and glared at the perpetrator, but he soon discovered that the man at the door, Big Shu, was carelessly asleep with an open jar of the locally brewed alcohol beside him.

Lu Chen frowned, not expecting to see...well, this kind of fairly peaceful scene.

Then, he heard a soft whimper and he looked the other way. Chang Ying was dangling like wet noodles, her hand tied above her head to an old iron hook. Her body was frail and weak with exhaustion. Her hands were stained with bright crimson blood that was escaping her body.

Lu Chen inhaled sharply, his breath was caught in his chest. His body moved before his mind to react. When his voice cried out, he was already in front of her, his face stricken with panic. 

"Yingying!" His fingers were already moving, scrambling to quickly undo the ropes and free her. 

His cold rage from earlier had melted into panic when he saw her. His eyes were drawn to the copious amount of blood running down her arm.

The blood rushed out quickly. It had already stained her entire lower arm. If it kept flowing like this, she could lose too much blood and die.

At this time, Lu Chen didn't care to look closely at things such as whether the ropes tied her up in a suspicious way. He quickly loosened her hands and removed the dirty cloth from her mouth. "Yingying, are you okay?"

Chang Ying weakly nodded as he held her close to him, tightly hugging her weak body. Chang Ying really felt dizzy at this time, her frailty was no longer an act.

Nevertheless, laying in his arms, her skin tingled as a soothing sensation welled within her. His warm body elicited a faint, comforting scent of work and sunlight that she had long forgotten. She pressed her face closer into his embrace as tears wet her eyes.

She was back home.

The villagers curiously craned their necks into the hut to look at what was happening inside. The scene was nothing like the heated romantic affair they expected.

There was a strong smell of alcohol in the hut and Big Shu was passed out in a corner. The villagers took a look at the unconscious man and the wine beside him, and they did not waste many brain cells to make a simple inference in their heads.

They clicked their tongues in disappointment at first. But when they peeped inside the hut, at the other corner, there was finally some gossip material!

Lu Chen's new wife, Chang Ying was tied up and gagged. Looking at her hand, there was so much blood, this was obviously not a simple affair!

"Big brother, someone has gone to call the doctor." a soft voice called out as Feifei entered the hut. She approached the man hugging his injured wife cautiously and gently asked, "Is sister-in-law alright?"

Lu Chen did shook his head. "Are you sure the doctor did not go to town?"

His voice was moderated with the usual indifference and bit of coldness as he spoke. Feifei grimaced, her face said all the bad news he needed to hear.

"He...he should be back at this time," her voice slowly faded off without hope towards the end.

"Not good enough," Lu Chen muttered.