Department of Mysteries

Lily POV

I stared around me; unsure of where to go from here. So I made it to the Ministry. I made it inside the Department of Mysteries. And I can finally understand what it meant by 'Mysteries'. This place was way too dark and spooky for my liking.

I entered a room that I felt must be the place. There were shelves of glass-made spheres, which looked sky-blue up close. There had to be hundreds of rows of these things, in many different shelves. I thought I could hear faint voices, like someone speaking to me. I looked at the nearest shelf as I wandered around and saw it had a number label.

5.

I needed to get to row 97. I think that's what Severus was saying when he told me to remember a number for when I got here. Row 97. Which looked to be down the end. Well I wasn't sure how many shelves there were. It was never ending. Going at a run, I wasn't sure whether I was safe here. I had this very uneasy feeling that someone was watching me.

"97...97..." I turned left and right everytime I passed a shelf. All the way until I got to row 97.

Found it!

So something here would tell me everything. Something on this shelf would explain what I needed to know. Why was I being so selfish all of a sudden? I spent all year trying to get James and Sirius to lay low, now I've gone out of my way and out of the school just for information. I really have changed.

I heard voices. Something was speaking out to me. A small hissing sound. No. It was more of a very evil voice. It sounded evil. Like soft but dangerous kind of evil. There was a woman's voice. I turned to one of the glass spheres. It was glowing brighter than any of the others around it. And there was a misty cloud forming inside. I edged closer, a little bit curious. I could hear the woman's voice getting a lot louder now...

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches..." The voice was clear as day now. And it creeped me out.

"born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...."

I stood there, stunned. Not because of what it said, but because I realized it was a prophecy. A prediction about something. I noticed the name 'Harry Potter' and 'Dark Lord' engraved on the label. So this must have been the prediction of Harry's life. Where he would supposedly have 'power to vanquish the Dark Lord". It explains how he managed to defeat You-Know-Who as a baby.

But what does it have to do with me?

I listened to the prophecy again, as it replayed itself. I was too scared to touch it for fear it might do something if I did. As I listened to the words again, something dawned on me. Hagrid had said Harry's parents had sacrificed themselves to protect him, including James. But something I never managed to figure out was who the mother was. No one had told me, even though I had wanted to ask but couldn't. Then again, what did this have to do with me? Snape said I'd find my answers here.

Unless...wait! What if...could it be? That I was the mother?

There was a loud crash behind me, making me whip around with my wand at the ready. I didn't have time to gather my thoughts. I was in trouble. Someone had been watching me.

**

"Which door did she go through?" Ron asked. "Assuming she is actually here and she didn't just run away."

"Ron!" Hermione scolded.

"She is here," James said. "I just know."

Hermione gave him a reassuring look. Everyone looked around at the different doors, confused as to which one to go through. Neville opened one, with his wand ready, and Harry felt his scar pierce with pain again.

"Are you alright Harry?" Remus asked him.

"I'm fine," he replied. "That door is the one."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I have seen it in my dreams. It's the room that Mr Weasley was attacked."

Ginny and Ron's faces went pale. Hermione was the first to go through, her wand poised. Everyone else followed, careful of anything that might jump out at them. Harry recognized the glass spheres on the shelves as part of his dream. He remembered seeing row 97 in his vision.

"Come on!" He motioned to the others.

James did a full 360 turn, wondering how they were ever going to find the door back if they wandered too far from it.

"Come on!"

Snapping back to reality, James realizes Lily was his priority while older Sirius was Harry's. The current, younger one was just keen on finding out the truth. They ran past the different shelves, Harry counting them off until he reached 97.

"He should be here!"

The others could sense the fright and panic in his voice. Because the truth was there: no one else was here except them. And Harry felt a massive twinge of regret because he had just dragged his friends all the way to London for no reason.

"It doesn't matter than Sirius isn't here," James said quickly. "We still need to find Li-I mean Ruby. We need to find Ruby."

"I'm sure that Sirius is-"

"Here's not here," Sirius said angrily. "You can see that he isn't."

"I know he is!"

"Harry!"

Neville had called for him for he had seen something rather strange. A glass sphere, identical to every other one. But this one stood out.

"It's got your name on it," he said as Harry approached it.

Harry heard a voice come from the sphere. The voice was that of a woman. It sounded an awful lot like his Divination teacher, Professor Trelawney, only this was more evil and quiet.

The voice spoke in a dramatic tone, "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...."

"What is that?" James asked. He could see the horror and confusion in Harry's face, which got him worried.

Harry grabbed the sphere off the shelf, "It's a prophecy."

"Very good Potter. Now slowly turn around and give it to me."