Chapter 64

Third person pov

Sero didn't like this. He didn't like this, he didn't like this, he didn't like this. He liked his radio, yes, but not this. Harper had gifted it to him despite the insistence of the entire police force that she not. It was a way for him to connect to the outside world. Listening to the news and keeping up with what songs were in-- as dumb as it was-- made him feel like maybe he was still a part of whatever was going on out there. Even with as dull as his future looked, and with how unstable his mentality was. The radio was a lifeboat. It kept him afloat between Harper's visits. She was the only piece of land that had allowed him to dock, and he cherished that. That's why her going off to summer camp for a whole week felt so hard.  

That was all null now. His boat had sunk, and Sero was drowning. He'd been listening idly to the news when the emergency broadcast flickered to life, cutting through the woman's words. Sero hadn't been all that interested at first. Perhaps morbidly curious, but not particularly invested in whatever had warranted this. Or he hadn't been until the shaking voice of the reporter announced that it was UA students that had been attacked. The hero courses, 1-A and 1-B had been ambushed at their summer camp. Several students were injured and rushed off to the hospital, and two students were missing, along with a child who'd been apparently present at the scene.

The child missing was Kota Izumi-- the nephew of a member of the Wild, Wild Pussycats. The next name was familiar. Bakugo Katsuki had always been a bit of an asshole, but he'd been starting to warm up to them last Sero could remember. He honestly could care less about either of them. Perhaps that was cruel, and certainly not very 'reformed' of him. He did miss his other classmates at times, yes. It was cold of him to say, but he'd been fine without them. The bonds he'd had to them had been entirely fake anyway, hadn't they? His old peers probably hated him.

And then the reporter had to go and say Harper's name. Harper Rye, taken by the League of Villains. Harper Rye, kidnapped. Harper Rye-- call if you have any information about her whereabouts. Harper Rye, considered to be in grave danger with her life on the line. Harper, Harper, Harper. His friend. His only friend-- the only person he could really trust. The girl who was fighting so hard for him, and who'd reintroduced him to his sister. The one who came and brought him fast food and updated him on the class, as though he'd be allowed to come back. They played Uno together, and bantered like siblings might, and discussed his future. She was determined for him to have a life outside his cell, and she struggled everyday to keep him confined at the police station and not moved to a real facility. She was his friend. And they'd... well, they'd taken her.

Sero hadn't felt such white, hot rage in a very long time. It was very hard to see all of a sudden, and even harder to breathe. His chest tightened violently. Something hot coiled angrily in the pit of his stomach, escaping through his throat in a strangled yell. He hadn't realized he'd picked up and thrown his radio until the reporter's voice stopped and left him in stifling silence. Sero hardly registered it, his entire body heaving with each intake of air. They'd taken Harper Rye. They'd taken Harper Rye! She had been kidnapped my the League-- the very same group she'd saved him from. Harper had all but dragged his mental state into the light, working on molding it into something socially acceptable with every visit. They'd taken her. The pin that held everything in place! He felt himself unraveling.

He backed up as he clawed at the devices on his arms that kept him from using his quirk, pulling and ripping at them in an attempt to get them off. He shrieked angrily, banging them against things, using various pieces of furniture and objects in the room to try and get them off. He could hear shouting outside his room as he struggled with them. It sounded cloudy to Sero, so he simply ignored it. He wasn't too sure what he was attempting here. He hadn't dwelled that far ahead yet. All he knew was that he needed to get out of here. Harper was taken, and what kind of friend would sit back and simply let that happen?