Chapter 5| AYA

Cid Williams at your service, your face! 

I wish I could say it aloud on his face. But seeing him wearing a W Supermarket Trainee ID I opted to give him a blank look as a response. Seeing his smirking face on top of the smell of alcohol overpowering his cologne, I see a big red flag sign in front of this stranger. 

I did not accept his hand. I said nothing, and he only got my blank face. He looked at me with an annoying smile, but I couldn't fathom his eyes. Before making a quick "personality analysis," the loud sound of the microphone hit my eardrums big-time. The HR officer is now upfront, taking control of the microphone. 

"Good evening, everyone! May we have your attention, please? Tonight it honors us to be granted an audience with the one and only son of W Supermarket's founder. Let us give a warm welcome to Mr. Rick Waldon."

The annoying jerk as he is, Trainee Cid is the only one who isn't clapping. Instead, he was laughing hard and loud while looking at the VIP being introduced upfront. 

"He must not have sobered up yet; that is why he is being the disrespectful employee of the night!" I told Jane aloud, intending to be heard by Trainee Cid on my left. 

But embarrassment isn't in Trainee Cid's dictionary. After laughing aloud and hard once everyone stopped clapping, he stood up and started clapping by himself. This new employee, whom I am sure just started tonight, is unaware that he might end his W supermarket work life on his first day. In annoyance, I called his attention so he would sit down and give way for the VIP to say whatever he wanted to say to everyone present. 

"Excuse me, you need to sit down and show some respect, please!" He took his seat. But he kept on clapping. 

In my two years of working here, it's the first time that a real VIP had graced a meeting with employees like us. I wanted the program to end so we could all go home and rest for the night. But Trainee Cid's unruly behavior might prolong it. I whispered to Jane that we should transfer seats. I stood up and was about to make my first step towards the front when a hard arm grasped my hand, forcing me to sit back in my chair. 

"What the fuck?" I said aloud as surprise caught me. The meeting room became so quiet. And I could see that everyone was already looking at us. 

"What the hell is that?" I asked Trainee Cid furiously.

When I looked at him, he was smirking while he placed his right thumb on his lips, giving me a sign to be quiet. As I looked around, everybody seemed amused to find his antics funny. I looked at Jane to see her smiling, too. I felt defeated and stayed in my seat. The nerve of this guy!

The VIP started talking. He introduced himself as the only son of the Waldon Family. 

"This Waldon heir doesn't fit the description of the women supervisors I met in the Arkansas seminar last year," Jane whispered.

"Why? How, on a scale of 1-10? I asked with a soft laugh. But Jane just winked at me. 

 After the meeting ended, they invited everybody to take part in the dinner. I begged Jane that we take our meals to leave silently. Since we were both tired, we agreed to see each other in the parking lot. I pretended to go to the washroom and left after a few minutes. 

"OMG! That was the fastest walk of my W career!" I told Jane as I took my seat in her RAV4.

"And this is my fastest dinner ever! Hahaha!" Jane said while she was wiping her mouth with the table napkin. She had already finished eating her dinner. She told me to buckle up and eat while she drove us home. I could devour mine before we reached the apartment. 

Quietly, we both sat on the couch at the same time. 

Suddenly, Jane remembered something. "That Cid guy is something, right?"

"What do you mean, something? Annoying as F*** I say!"

"Brace yourself. I think Trainee Cid has dibs on you, Aya," she said in a teasing tone.

"Well, I don't have time for it, and I don't have time for people like him!"

"But seriously, it has been five years Aya. So I am telling you, never aim for a life like mine."

"What is wrong with your life, Mama Jane?" 

Jane smiled at me. She knows I am a sweet daughter whenever I call her Mama Jane. It is my way of expressing joy at being cared for by her. I smile whenever she talks about the need for me to move on from my past relationship. I wanted to tell her I had learned my lesson. That there is no way I will break the walls I built. My heart is closed. And I intend to keep it that way until I leave this earth. I am contented with the way I am living my third life. I am okay with just Jane, me, and Angel. Thinking of Angel made me realize something.

"Shoot! I forgot to bring home the flowers I arranged for Angel."

I realized I need the flowers when I visit him tomorrow. 

"Ride with me back to W tomorrow, then get the flowers before you go for your visit," said Jane.

"I hope it will still be there by tomorrow. Not that I wouldn't want to pay." I said.

"Like sorry, not sorry?" Jane laughed. 

"Yes!" We both got up from the couch and went to our bedrooms. 

***

I went to W supermarket together with Jane the next day. I don't mind buying flowers for Angel, but it feels different when I choose and arrange the ones I will bring him. Besides, people in W don't care since the flowers I am taking are already in the bag for discarded ones. So I want to be discreet about it. And I have to ensure that I exit through the garden side so no one inside the main building will notice. 

Thank God it was still in the same spot I left last night. Miles winked at me as I took the flowers from the table. I mouthed thank you and goodbye to her and signaled my way to the exit. I was grabbing my phone from inside my bag to message Jane that I was leaving, but someone stood in front of me as I stepped out of the garden. It was like my body hit a wall, strong and warm. But the scent of cologne was familiar.

"Oops! What do we have in your hand, My Aya?"

The last person I would wish to see is standing in front of me- Trainee Cid! He was wearing a plain white shirt and khaki jeans under the W apron, with his Trainee ID on his chest. His smirk is a devil! Like he witnessed a life-changing event. I paused. I can't speak. Not that I consider bringing the flowers out as shoplifting, but I know I am in a not-so-good situation right now. 

"I ah, bought flowers." I sounded unsure. 

"So no receipt, huh? Your face is telling me now that this has been an ongoing practice. Who else does it, My Aya? Let me guess." Cid said in a soft, mocking tone.

I was speechless, and I felt nervous. I know that most people in W wouldn't mind me taking the flowers, but if anyone reports me to management, I will surely be in trouble. And I can't trust this guy interrogating me to understand the situation.

"So no receipt, huh? Let me guess; this has been an ongoing practice. Who else does it, My Aya?" His questions were more accusatory now than interrogatory. 

"Should we go to the management office?" he asked what I was dreading to hear.

***