twenty-one

"Grams?" Finally clean and rid of the cheap beer and salty ocean odor, I run a towel through my dark waves. "Can we talk, please?"

Per usual, I find her at her spot at the kitchen table, eyes raised over her daily newspaper.

"After you tell me how your night was. It's," she peers beyond me to the clock on the wall. "Almost one-thirty. I assume that's a good thing,"

Exhaling loudly, I begin making myself a cup of tea. Stirring in some lemon juice, I also grab a pack of crackers, stomach still feeling a bit sloshy.

"Actually, no, it's not a good thing. That's what I wanted to talk to you about."

"Did you see Luke?" Grams continues, ignoring me entirely. She flips the page, eyes scanning the comics behind her glasses.

"Yes, but -"

"What about Maya or Brynn?"

"Can you listen to me?" I almost stomp my foot. "Please? Last night was horrible, okay?" At her stern look, I settle into the seat across from her and take a deep breath. After recounting all of the nights events, I look to her with pleading eyes. "Please, Grams. I'm begging you. Let me out of our deal, please? I can't go out there and listen to people making their stupid comments."

Her light eyes soften and she places a wrinkled hand over my own.

"Oh Dylan. I'm sorry. What they said about your brother's accident... it wasn't right." She shakes her head, a sad frown pulling her lips down. "But no. I can't let you out of our deal."

My mouth pops open in surprise and I again, resist the urge to cross my arms over my chest like a child.

"You can't?" I repeat, shock coloring my tone. I blink slowly in disbelief.

"I can't." She confirms, licking her thumb as she grabs the news again. "Your parents and I - we're worried about you. You can't stop living just because Casey's gone. He never would have wanted that."

I'm tired of everyone pretending that they know what Casey would have wanted. I knew him best, not them. He would have wanted to be here. To be surfing in the mornings, hanging around bonfires at night. Flirting with girls with Luke and...

"Speaking of your parents, have you spoken to them?" Grams question brings me back to the present - talk of my parents turning my mood sour like the stale beer on my breath this morning.

"No," I mumble, sipping my tea sheepishly. I've been busy, haven't I?

"I know." Grams grunts. "Because your mother called me."

I meet her discontent expression and grin apologetically. She and Mom have never gotten along - marriage and grandkids never got her over the slight distaste for her daughter-in-law or vice-versa. How every family affair didn't end in a war of the worlds, I'm never quite sure.

"Sorry," I mumble, practically able to hear Mom's frantic interrogation in my head.

Grams chuckles, as if she's in on a joke that I'm missing. "You will be. They're on their way now."

I choke on my tea, boiling water taking the wrong path down my throat, and Grams only glances at me in amusement, handing me a napkin.

"They're what?" I dab my chin quickly.

Grams shrugs. "They were worried when you didn't answer your phone. I told them that you were fine. I suppose they wanted to see for themselves."

"When did you talk to them?" My heartbeat quickens, body twisted around to stare at the clock for answers.

"Last night, after dinner." Grams pretends to contemplate. A chill runs up my spine. "Before you went out?"

"So then they're almost here?" I squeak just as the doorbell rings.

My eyes flash to the front parlor and back at Grams, rolling my eyes at the little smirk on her lips.

"I'm not sure why you're enjoying this so much," I mutter, making my way to the door, dread filling my belly. "You suffer too!" I shout, pulling the door open without checking through the peephole.

Let's get this over with.

Bracing myself for the worst, I frown in confusion as a little, happy voice greets me instead of the disapproving tone of my parents.

"Miss Dylan!"

Thanks everyone! Sort of a fluff chapter but more updates soon

Thanks everyone! Sort of a fluff chapter but more updates soon. What do you think about grams? Are we nervous to meet Dylan's parents? What's Finn doing at grams again??