07. How to Prepare a Disappearing Act

My thoughts were already racing as I swiftly ascended the staircase, hastily planning out my every move once I entered the apartment

My thoughts were already racing as I swiftly ascended the staircase, hastily planning out my every move once I entered the apartment. I'd have to pack a small bag, something easy to carry around, which meant I'd have to leave a lot of things behind... things the werewolves can use to track me...

But you have no scent, apparently. Hearing that twice in the span of twenty minutes is too much of a coincidence.

Unless they were lying to me, in a poorly concealed attempt to make me lower my guard. But while I had no reason to trust Nicholas Randon, the boy I had just spoken to outside the building did swear on the Moon Goddess that he wasn't luring me into a trap...

Whatever. I'm not likely to lower my guard anyways. I've been on high alert for too long to stop now, at the time when I had genuine reason to believe there was a hoard of werewolves snapping at my heels.

I didn't plan on being at the apartment for long. Get in, throw some things into a backpack, get out. Of course, Opal will insist on a story... and there'll most likely be a tearful goodbye - from her, not me.

I sighed as I approached the door. Maybe I'll multitask. Talk to Opal while I'm packing. That way, I can kill two vampires with one stake.

Pausing, my hand on the doorknob, I briefly planned a condensed, fast version of events to tell Opal. Was pissed off, did something stupid, ran to the park, found Ryker Marcel - who, by the way, highly deserves his death. That's what you get for trying to put your nasty paws on my. Oh, let's see, I killed him in front of Nicholas Randon, then actually killed him, all the while being completely aware he was within mind-shot of another wolf, and now the Alpha will probably move heaven and hell to get justice for the death of his brother.

Easy.

Though Opal will have questions. Lots and lots of questions.

Ugh, I can just hear the time-wasters in my head now; What the hell were you thinking? Why did you kill two werewolves when there were others around? Why did you run out on a full moon? Are you stupid?

I don't know about the first three, but the answer to the last one is, yes, definitely.

I shook my head in self-exasperation, slowly opening the door to the apartment, then, with the door open just a crack, hesitated. Of course I'd choose now to consider that there might be enemies within the building. There's a chance nobody pursued me because they decided to meet me here and catch me by surprise. But they couldn't figure out where I lived that quickly, right? It would take them at least an hour to figure out my secret identity is Isabelle Sage, right?

Grabbing my dagger, the hilt reassuringly resting against my palm, I pushed the door open so it hung wide, jumping back into the hallway as I did so, keeping my arm in a defensive position. The apartment was dark, and my every muscle was tensed, ready for a fight...