d. ragnvindr ❧ wait for me

"i love you... you know that, right?"

diluc ragnvindr x reader character study (angst w some cute fluff bits) ❧(manga / webtoons spoilers) you help diluc sort out his feelings after the death of his father

character study (angst w some cute fluff bits)
(manga / webtoons spoilers) you help diluc sort out his feelings after the death of his father

.

The bitter coldness of winter dawned upon Mondstadt. The morning dew was usually crystallized during this time of the year. The frost covered up the glass of the Dawn Winery.

You lived on the Ragnvindr manor, not as a maid or anything— just as a friend of the family. Your mother, a great adventurer, was a close friend to Master Crepus, leaving you in his care since childhood. You grew up with Diluc and Kaeya, more so Diluc as you have known him longer.

The death of Master Crepus deeply affected you as much as it affected the two boys. Days ago, on Diluc's eighteenth birthday, a monster attacked the carriage that Diluc and master crepus were on. Wielding a delusion, Master Crepus vanquished the beast but in turn, it backfired and killed him. He died in his son's arms.

Since then, Diluc hasn't been the same.

Kaeya had an 'argument' with Diluc that night. You don't know what happened but afterwards, the midnight-haired boy left. It left you in a state of loneliness, your two best friends left you in the darkness of your room.

You often wandered to Diluc's room, twisting the knob to his room with no response from the other end.

You tried again that morning. Each step towards Diluc's room caused the wood to creak loudly. You stood before the mahogany door, a hand on the golden handle. You twisted it, surprised to find that the room wasn't locked.

You proceeded quietly, peering in to see the fiery mess that was Diluc, sitting in silence, staring out at the frost on his window. The dawn served as his only source of light, everything else was swallowed by the darkness.

"Diluc...?" You muttered his name, calling out to him. his crimson eyes met your, a tiredness in his dull eyes.

You always thought of Diluc as the sun and Kaeya as the moon. Diluc , the blazing Captain of the Knights of Favonius. He was as bright as the glory of the morning sun. The warmth of flames always welcomed you when he was around. Diluc Ragnvindr was the radiant sun, his light shone across mondtstadt as the renowned Captain and son of Master Crepus.

And now, all of that is gone.

The brilliancy, the glory, all of it had faded away. He sat on the edge of his bed, as human as he could be.

"Oh, it's you..." His voice sounded hoarse, dry like a withered flower. Petals have fallen, leaving the raw truth.

"How are you feeling...?" You asked approaching you. You noticed him tense which caused you to stop in your tracks. "Diluc?"

"I'm... doing better."

That was a lie. judging by his disheveled hair, the dark circles underneath his eyes, the dullness in his voice, he was suffering.

"Diluc," you knelt down, gently taking his hand into yours. It was ice-cold, the warmth he once had was gone.

"I... don't know who I can trust anymore," he muttered, lowering his head. Diluc's eyes fixed upon the ground.

"You can trust me," you replied softly, gently running your fingers through his mess of hair. "I'm always here for you."

He lifted his head up at your words. Tears filled his crimson eyes, threatening to fall.

You knew that Diluc was always the vigilant type. He was always out there, protecting Mondstadt from danger so you could predict his next course of action.

"Are you going to leave...?"

What a ridiculous question. It was rhetorical to you, the answer was painfully obvious.

"I have to understand what killed my father. There's so much out there that's unknown to me... that can threaten Mondstadt." Diluc's voice was soft, now leaning into your touch more.

You knowingly nodded, slowly finding yourself a home in his arms. He pulled you in, cradling you close. "When will you return?"

Diluc didn't respond immediately, just after pressing a gentle kiss against your forehead. "A week? A couple of months? Maybe a few years? That I am uncertain."

You bit down on your bottom lip, looking over to the glove that rested on his side table. The one that Master Crepus used to slay the monster. The glove that killed him.

"Will you return?" You changed the question. Time didn't matter to you. You were more than willing to wait hundreds of years for him.

Another kiss. "Yes, I will return... eventually."

You nodded, resting your head against his chest. The gentle thrumming of his heart reached your ears as you two basked in silence.

"I love you... you know that right?"

You tensed, body stiffening at his words. Not once has he ever said such a thing aloud. Diluc was never one to express his feelings outwardly.

"Diluc...?" You muttered his name, looking up to see his crimson eyes lingering on you. "I promise I'll come home. I promise I will come home to you."

A smile tugged at the corners of your face as you leaned back and nodded. "I'll wait for you then."