《 Chapter 39 》

I stood by the gate, waving to her as she pulled out of the driveway and drove out. I stood still, watching the retreating vehicle and hoping she would be okay like she had promised.

Iyanu was about opening the gate when I walked in and I flinched a bit; I had not been expecting to see her at the gate.

"You startled me." I held my chest and she grinned.

"I heard the sound of a car so I came to check if it was you. Where is your father by the way?" She wriggled her brows at me and I couldn't help but laugh.  She had resulted to calling her uncle, Daddy Beatrice but I secretly heard her mother asking her to stop because it pissed Aunty Yetunde off.

"He said he wanted to meet up with some friends." I filled her in and she nodded.

"Gist me. How did it go?" She dragged me into the house and headed for the room when her name was called by her mother from the kitchen. Iyanu groaned quietly as a big frown took over the smile on her face.

"Go and freshen up. I'll join you later." She told me and scampered away to the kitchen.

I climbed the stairs wearily, stopping at some point to rest before attempting to climb the stairs again.

The room was empty to my happiness and I walked to the bathroom immediately to freshen up. I had once read in a book that water gave strength which was quite true especially cold water.

I wrapped my towel securely around my chest and walked out of the bathroom with water dripping from my hair. I slipped in a short and a singlet and plop on my bed to rest a bit before dinner.

I was really hungry and could hear my tummy grumble loudly.  I hoped whatever food was being prepared would be ready in no time. I wasn't sure how long I could wait before losing it.

As I picked my phone to chat Peter up and probably update him on today's event, the door flew open and the angry face of Andy came into view. He stood by the doorpost with his arms folded and his brow arched in a questioning gaze.

I sat up immediately and gaped at him, wondering what he wanted and why he had barged into the room without knocking. 

It was quite surprising to see him standing before me. He had always treated me like I was a shadow despite my attempt to engage him in a conversation so I was already used to this treatment — though I would be happy if he warmed up to me. He was my halfbrother after all.  I couldn't be in antagonism with him.

"Hey!" I tried to smile at him but he yelled at me instead. 

"It is all your fault mum is not happy!"

I flinched at his harsh tone as I searched for words to reply to him. How could he say such a thing to me?

"Who are you and why are you ruining our happy home? Because of you, mum cries every time. She hasn't been herself since this stupid revelation of yours. Goddammit! Just go and leave us be!" He spat angrily and turned to go, but I was already provoked and wouldn't let him leave just like that.

I sprang to my feet and pointed a stern finger at him.

"Who are you to speak to me that way?!" I spoke with the same harsh tone he had used while speaking to me. "How is it my fault that your father is also my father?" I shot him a glare and he flinched.

"I'm sorry your mum isn't happy but there is nothing I can do about that and I won't go anywhere because I have been away from my father for so many years. I won't lose him now that I have found him!"

My heart was beating in quick succession and I could feel my breathing getting ragged. I must look scary for the boy before me, had his eyes opened wide like one who had seen a ghost.

But I wasn't done. How would anyone accuse me of being at fault? I was already frustrated and so wouldn't tolerate any form of insult from anyone, not even Aunty Yetunde.

"How do I expect you to understand this when you've enjoyed luxury all your life: going out anytime you want, living your life freely without any obstacle and above all, enjoying love from both parents. You can hate me all you want but I would never accept any form of disrespect from you. Now get out of this room!" I screamed at him and in a jiffy, he was out of the room, slamming the door loudly as he walked out. 

I collapsed to the bed immediately he was out and held my face in my palms, inhaling and exhaling gently to stable my laboured breathing.  My heart was still thudding loudly and I could now feel the gnawing pain of hunger deep down in my tummy. I felt sick as I laid on the bed.

I shut my eyes tightly but all I could think of were the angry words I spew out on the small boy. I shouldn't have spoken that way to him. He was still my younger brother and he was only a kid. Seeing his mother in tears must have hurt him badly to confront me.

I sighed heavily as I rolled on the bed, trying to convince myself he deserved every single word I said. I had tried on various attempt to be nice to him even before I knew he was my brother.

Once, I had taken his food to him in the room just to make him warm up to me but he never did. I was tired of being nice to people who didn't worth it.

He is your younger brother.  Is this the way you want to be relating with your father's children?

I groaned loudly as my conscience nudged me to the point I couldn't take it anymore.  I sprang to my feet and trudged to the boys' room which was the last room at the lobby.  I took a deep breath before knocking lightly on the door.

"Go away!" I heard him yell in a hoarse voice.

At least I tried, I turned to go only for the door to open to reveal the cute face of little Avis looking up at me.

"Bee!" He smiled sweetly and I ruffled his hair with a big smile of my own, feeling my heart glow with love. Cute little thing! Just so lovely and simple, unlike his complicated and moody brother who enjoyed being rude to everyone. 

It wasn't difficult to converse with Avis. Even before the whole fiasco,  he had always been coming to our room to talk to me and Iyanu.

"I asked you not to open up, dimwit! Andy cursed under his breath and I cringed as I walked into the room at his insult on his brother. Avis left the room that instance and I wondered if he was scared Andy would do something to him. Nevertheless, I was left alone with Andy.

I sat on the bed and stared at the boy whose face was buried in a pillow. His shoulder was shuddering and I could hear little whimpers. Was it what I was thinking?

"Andy?" I called out.

"Leave me alone!" He sniffed and then it dawned on me. He was crying.

My heart sank at this as an avalanche of guilt overwhelmed me.

"I didn't mean any of those things I said to you. I only said them out of anger." I spoke softly and my lips quivered to my surprise.

"You made me angry. You shouldn't speak that way to anyone. I had always wished to see my father and now that I have, I am really happy. Sadly, my happiness is bringing sorrow to others and I wish I can take it away but I can't.  I really can't do that." I croaked,  cringing at the strain in my voice.  I sounded pathetic. 

"You want me to go away but where to? Where would you go if someone asks that you leave your father?" I glanced at him but his head was still buried in the pillow, I wondered if he was listening to me.

Sighing wearily, I rubbed my forehead which was now burning with fever.  "I'm sorry for yelling at you and I'm sorry about your mother."

I looked at him again but he still maintained his position so I stood up since I didn't know what else to say to him.

As I approached the door,  I heard him move and I was sure he was now looking at me but I didn't look back at him. I didn't want him to see the tears welling up in my eyes.

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●
Phew! 😥😥

CAGED will come to an end soon, apparently.