C H A P T E R 1 7

R I Z W A N engulfed her in a hug

R I Z W A N engulfed her in a hug. Her faint perfume, lingered in his senses. It made him feel at home. As if these slender arms were where he was meant to be. He took a whiff of her silky brown hair, that she had died a few weeks prior. Breaking apart from their hug, Rizwan kissed her cheek. He knew it was wrong. He was a muslim and any contact with a na-mehram was forbidden. But never had anything wrong felt so irrevocably correct.

Rizwan smiled at the woman in his arms.
"Hi," he whispered, not wishing to end such a peaceful moment.
"Hello," she giggled.
They took a seat. Sitting down calmly. They grabbed each others hands. Looking deeply into the eyes of one and another.
"Dekho Rumi mujhe tumse zaroori baat karni hai," Rizwan spoke.
"Han kaho, kia hai?" Her round eyes peered at him with great interest.
"Darasal baat yeh hai keh," he paused.
"What is it? Mujhe itnay suspense mein kyun rakha hai?" Rumi smiled at him.
A series of short laughters rippling their way through, making her seem utterly adorable.
"Abu shaadi keh liye nahin manay," Rizwan sighed, rubbing his eyes.

The stress was clearly visible on his face. On one side it was the woman he could not live without and on the other it was his father, the man who had given up everything that he had for him. The two were equally important for him. He did not want to lose anyone. Call his selfish but it was just like what anyone wished for. To have their parents accept their choice of spouse.

Rumi's face instantly fell. She had been so happy about todays meeting. She had been dreaming about all these scenarios of how life would be like after marriage for the two. Full of romantic days and passionate nights. The two would enjoy and do any and everything that their hearts desired to the fullest. But now, his father was playing the role of a tyrant. Separating two people who loved each other and could not imagine a day without their other halves. Why was society always cruel to two lovers?

"Kia matlab hai Rizwan? Uncle kyun mana karein gai? Weren't you the one who claimed that he was a very modern man and nothing was more important to him than you happiness? Well clearly you do not know him well," Rumi uttered, frustrated at the rejection of their marriage.
"Rumi, abu mujhse bohat mohabbat bhi karte hain aur meri fiqr bhi. Bas iss waqt halat hi kuch aisay hain," he tried to reason.
"What do you mean "halaat"?" Rumi asked, pissed at the way Rizwan was taking it all.
"The woman I am engaged to, is from a very poor background. Abu does not want to hurt their happiness. That is why he rejected. Give me a few days and I will work everything out. I promise!" He grabbed Rumi's hand, kissing the back of it.

Rumi immediately broke it out of his grip. She had clearly seen that Rizwan could not get it all done and instead she would have to come up with a plan herself. After all the man had taken four days to just develop enough courage to talk to his father.