002. Parental Guidance

Part One / Chapter Two

It was a week before Venus was to arrive at Hogwarts for her fifth year.

Tonks had slipped Venus a note that morning, saying that she had Order duties. It was fantastical hearing about a secret society dedicated to Voldemort's downfall. Andromeda would explode if she found it her daughter was involved. That evening, Andromeda threw the door to Venus' bedroom open and stood there, like she'd just been struck by lightning. Venus just stared at her. Scared and confused. Andromeda held a letter in her hand, the Hogwarts imprint shown through the strips of the envelope.

"Is that the supply list? They came later then they usually do," said Venus, walking over to grab the letter from her Aunt. Andromeda swing her hand away from Venus and clutched it against her chest, like it was her baby. "Okay, you're acting odd."

"Venus, honey. Don't be angry but when your letter arrived, it accidentally opened and the parchment accidentally slipped out but," continued Andromeda, taking the letter and pulling it out of the envelope. Venus' eyes nearly shot out from the sockets when she saw it. A Prefects Badge. Venus was made Prefect for Gryffindor. This was something Venus had longed for since she was in first year. "Honey. . . You made Prefect!"

Her and Aunt Andromeda burst out screaming, Ted bolted up the stairs, his wand at ready. The two continued to scream until Ted pulled Andromeda away from Venus. She had to owl Constance, her best friend. Really her only friend. Venus usually bored people with her observations from classes or her reading, but Constance, on the other hand, was fascinated at Venus' words, the way she explained things and how much passion she put into her work. This most likely attracted Constance toward Venus because Constance was exactly the opposite. She dreaded doing her own schoolwork, hearing someone else do it was much more calming, and much less nerve racking.

Venus kept her quill in her book, and turned toward her desk but her book wasn't there. Her heart dropped. She looked on her bed, in her dresser, in her closet, on and inside her nightstands, on her windowsill. She tore through her bedroom, but her book didn't turn up. That was her favorite muggle book, with her favorite quill and the only photo she had of her mother. She needed to find it.

And the last place she had it was at 12 Grimmauld Place.

Venus wanted to punch herself in the face. She was in such a hurry to leave that she left the most important thing behind. She stood up and walked slowly toward the fireplace, looking around to make sure Uncle Ted and Aunt Andromeda weren't around. She grabbed a handful of floo powder and said her destination. She appeared in the fireplace again, only she was met by multiple wands poking at her face. Two redheaded adults, and Mad-Eye Moody cornered her in the fireplace.