Chapter 18: Ogres Are Like Onions

Dedicated to Veronica_Herondale for winning the Alec Award in the one-shot competition. Banner by HunterMay18.

---

Chapter 18: Ogres Are Like Onions

"Luke, I don't like this one bit," I said, walking blindly with only Luke to guide me.

We were on our very first official date (save the date for the scrapbooks!). Luke had the wonderful idea of letting it be a surprise and wrapping a bandana he got at Walmart for a dollar around my head. It wasn't an original idea, so I'm sure he got it off a movie or something. I would say book, but Luke doesn't read, not on his own freewill anyway.

I heard him scoff. I could practically see him rolling his eyes. "I'm not going to let you get hurt."

"I can't see. I don't like not seeing."

"I think you can live without one of your senses for awhile."

The ground beneath me felt rocky and unpaved. Luke was determined to keep up speed, while I tried my hardest not to fall on my face. My grip on Luke's hand tightened, as if that would help me keep my balance.

"Ow, Charlie! You're cutting off circulation."

"Oops, sorry," I apologized, letting go.

"Well I didn't say you had to let go." Luke grabbed my hand. On the back of my hand I could feel Luke's lips. There was a light smacking sound.

"Should I be the one doing that to you?"

"Kissing me?"

I laughed. "Your hand."

"I'd rather you kiss my lips..."

"If we're going to do this the traditional way, we're not kissing on the first date."

"What?" he objected. "That's not fair. We've known each other for like ever."

"Luke..."

"But we'll do it your way," he mumbled loyally.

"Good! So if we're doing it my way, do I get to take this thing off?" I gestured to the blindfold.

"I don't think so."

"Are we almost there yet?"

"Be patient, Charlie."

"I'm not a patient person."

He chuckled. "I know you aren't."

"Can you at least tell me where we're going?"

"That would defeat the purpose of a blindfold, now wouldn't it?"

"I guess so...If I guess; will you tell me if I'm right?"

"It depends."

"On?"

"On whether or not I'm in the mood to tell you."

I grimaced. That was such a typical Luke thing to say. "So basically, you're not going to tell me."

"You know me so well."

"Well I'm going to guess anyway. Okay, what's a place where you'd have to walk to?"

"I don't know. You tell me."

My first thought was of the clearing where Edward takes Bella in Twilight. "Are we in the woods?"

"You wish."

I breathed in the air, to make sure it wasn't forest air or whatever. "The air's fresh."