Take a break

You were bleary-eyed as you made your way into the bakery at a stark 7:30 in the morning. You hadn't gone to sleep yet, you stayed up all night studying and trying to get ahead on your assignments, and by time you finished up, you were too worried about oversleeping and missing your shift so you stayed up and studied a bit more instead.

But after some reflection, you think a few moments of self care might have been the better choice. You could have used the power nap, or at least a shower or some breakfast. You barely bothered to change your shirt. You were still sporting the same pair of leggings you put on, when was it? Two days ago. And simply tossed a flowy tunic top over it in hopes to elevate the look some.

You weren't wearing any makeup beyond whatever mascara clinged to your eyelashes since you last applied it two days ago, and you didn't even bother to hide the bags under your eyes with some concealer.

This was possibly the least presentable you've ever looked while coming into work, and you hoped that meant Jin would send you in the back for the day, because you did not want to deal with taking customers orders all morning. You think you would cry on the spot if someone raised their voice at you.

You were surprised to see Taehyung behind the counter as you made your way to clock in.

"What are you doing here?" You questioned, reaching for the register to put in your work ID. Taehyung eyed you a little confused as you typed in your number.

"Covering for Jungkook, what are you doing here?" He questioned back.

You blinked a few times as your brain processed his words before you responded, "Working. What's wrong with Kook?"

"Nothing, it's finals week and Jin took you both off the schedule, did you not get his text?" Taehyung eyed you a little concerned. He was never one to judge someone by their appearance, but you looked like shit, and so sleep deprived he wondered how you made it here on your own.

His concern didn't ease as he watched your brow furrow as you gave a small, "Oh, I suppose I did. I thought it was an option, I need to work." You responded slowly.

"Ella, you should go home, Jin, Jimin, and I have the store covered for the day.You look like you need rest." Tae offered gently.

You looked even more confused as you stared at Taehyung as if he had grown a third head, "Sorry, you've been acting so nice since I saw you cry that one time and still catches me off guard. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to be friends. I just never pegged you for the 'go get some rest' type friend." You chuckled awkwardly.

Taehyung's eyes widened in shock, and he had to make an effort to keep his jaw closed as he received the blow. He deserved that, he was a bit of an asshole in the beginning but it still hurt a little to receive.

"Would you rather me tell you you look like shit and you're going to scare away our customers before you can even take their orders?" He cracked, frustrated.

You paused as if you were actually contemplating the option just as Jimin made his way out the kitchen.

"Taehyung can't you say anything nice to Ella for once?" Jimin chided as he strode towards the two of you.

Taehyung looked to the sky, asking whatever god was listening what he did to deserve this.

"Jimin it's not what-"

"And what are you doing here Ella? Love, you look absolutely exhausted. Did you forget you don't have work?" Jimin asked, cradling your face and ignoring Taehyung's defense.

"I forgot, but I would like to work if I can." You said quietly, leaning into Jimin's touch a little too much as your eyelids fluttered. Taehyung wondered if you could fall asleep standing.