CH 7- Hiding My Truth

Adelaine POV-

* 2 Hours Later*

When I feel the air start to get cooler, I look at my phone and see we have been out here for about 2 hours. Looking up at the boys, I can see they are messing around and look to be about done. 

"Ok guys, let's go get Wyatt and head home. Uncle is 'out' tonight, so how about I make some spaghetti and we can watch a movie?" I ask the twins.

"Yes!" They shout at the same time and then run off to go get Wyatt and Nathan.

My ribs and leg hurt a lot more after sitting for so long, so I take my time walking slowly after them. As I watch Dylan tackle Wyatt, and Katie being swung around by Nathan, I completely miss the last step on the stairs. 

"Shit!" I say, as a burning pain shoots through my already bruised ribs and leg. 

"LAINEY?!" I hear a voice say, but I don't know which one. Everything sounds muffled, as the pain takes over my aching body, making me see stars and black spots. 

Maybe my injuries were a little worse than I let on.  

"Angel? What happened? Tell me what hurts." I hear Nathan say as the pain starts to subside. I can feel his arms coming around my waist, helping me stand up. 

As soon as I'm placed on my leg, I feel an awful pain and let out a small scream, doubling over into Nathan's hard chest. He grabs onto my middle, to try and support me, but that just makes him hit my bruised ribs. After letting out another screech, I'm sat back on the ground. 

"Angel. Look at me." I look up to see Nate's worried face. 

"Tell me where it hurts."

"My left leg and ribs." I squeak out. I watch as he moves to lift my shirt up. 

What the hell?

"Wait! Stop. What do you think you are doing?" I ask, trying my hardest to scoot away, but stop when another sharp blast of pain shoots into me. 

"Relax, Angel. I'm not going to do anything, I just need to make sure nothing is broken. I'll only lift your shirt and pant leg up enough to see where it hurts. Besides, your siblings are here, they won't let anything happen to you. Trust me." He replies to me, while moving his arms back to my shirt. 

I look up at Wyatt and see the fear in his face that probably mirrors mine. 

He'll see the bruises and know they aren't from just falling. 

I'm about to tell Nate to stop again when Wyatt looks at me with pleading eyes. I can almost hear him saying 'Let him help you.'

I take a long sigh and don't move as Nathan slowly lifts my shirt up and moves the wrap. 

*gasp* 

"Angel, your entire left side is bruised. Was it like this this morning?" I just nod my head, not able to talk because of my fear. 

He'll find out and you will be separated.

As my fears stay on a continuous loop in my head, Nathan starts to roll up my pant leg until he gets to just above my knee. I hear another gasp from him and my brother say 'I'm going to kill him' under his breath, but don't look up. I know what they're seeing. I saw how bad it was this morning, but I couldn't let on to that. 

"Lainey, what the hell!!! Why didn't you tell me it was this bad? You should have gone to the hospital when I told you to this morning." Wyatt says angrily. I feel strong fingers on my chin, forcing my gaze to look up. 

"Angel, did you know it was this bad?" All I could do was nod. 

"Why didn't you tell anyone? Your knee is completely black and blue." He continues.

"I.." I didn't know what to tell him.

I couldn't exactly say 'Oh, you know, my abusive uncle is the one who did it to me and I can't tell anyone because then we will all be separated. Plus, my overprotective brother would have killed him if he found out how bad it was.' 

So I just sighed and said, "It didn't hurt that bad this morning and we were already running late for school. I didn't want anyone to worry." Everyone just stared at me: Nathan will a look of concern, Wyatt with Anger, Dylan with sadness, and Katie with fear. 

"It's fine guys, really, I just landed on it wrong when I stepped down. Let's just go home. After I make dinner, we can watch a movie and I'll elevate and ice it. No biggy." I stood up slowly, hiding the pain that was shooting through my leg. Nathan quickly put his arms around my waist to support me, being extra careful not to touch my ribs. 

"Alright, we'll get you home and I'll check it out. It's probably just a sprain or really bad bruise,  and ice will help the swelling go down. But, I'm no doctor. Are you sure I can't take you to the hospital?" He asks me with the same look Wyatt has, silently pleading with me to say yes. 

No, hospitals ask too many questions. I'll be fine. 

"What do you mean too many questions?" Nate asks me. 

Shoot! Did I say that out loud?

"Ya, Angel. You did." He says, giving me a questioning look. 

UGHHHHH!

"Nothing, just that I don't want to have to explain the whole situation again. It's embarrassing, I am way to clumsy for my own good." I lie smoothly, he doesn't look like he believes me, but continues to support my weight and begins the trek to his car.