low moon don the yellow road

Back from Arizona and rested from a full night of sleep in her own bed, Juliette walks into the bullpen with a pep in her step. She sits at her desk across from Spencer's, softening her gaze as he recites his favorite facts from an article he read on biomedical statistics in the Metro DC area.

Juliette and Spencer have come to form an unique relationship, long over the intimidation of her personality. She enjoys learning and occasionally including her own facts, while Spencer is overjoyed that someone's interested in what he knows.

They would've spent all day talking and filling out reports together, but unfortunately Juliette's mood is dampened by Hotch, accompanied by Strauss, ordering the team to the round table. He stands in the front of the room, prepared to present the case in place of Garcia. "Somerville Military Academy in Oceanside, Florida. Five boys were found hanging this morning. The bodies are at the medical examiner's now."

"There's no photos?" Morgan questions, alluding to the lack of images on the screen

"School personnel thought they may still be alive, so they cut them out of the trees." Strauss adds.

"So we're walking into a contaminated crime scene. They don't have anything solid?"

"'We're sorry' was carved in a tree branch nearby."

"This happened on campus?" Juliette asks.

"No, in the woods about an hour away. They were out there six days, as an outward bound mission for upperclassmen."

"Do we know what drove them to suicide?" JJ asks next.

"A freshman cadet, Bailey Shelton, hung himself two weeks ago in his room." Hotch answers. "There's something else. Six kids went on the trip, only five were found."

"School officials confirm that Josh Redding is still missing." Strauss adds. "And the campus is completely off the grid. No internet."

"I can help with that." Garcia pipes up.

"Which is why you're coming with us." Hotch nods.

"So am I." Strauss says, to the dismay of the agents.

Rossi furrows his brow. "Isn't Somerville the director's alma mater?"

"Yes. The academy has enjoyed a spotless reputation, so the hope is to keep the investigation in-house."

With that, the team's excused to prepare for wheels up in 30. Along with not wanting to be in Strauss' presence longer than necessary, Juliette's still not thrilled to be working a case this involved with higher-ups.

The jet ride is as tension-filled as it can get, Spencer and Juliette engaged in a chess game while the team discusses the history of the school. "The Somerville Academy was founded during World War II. Their socioeconomic breakdown is all over the map, along with ages. Students are twelve to eighteen years old, on the same campus, in the same dorms." Spencer recites.

"Ron Massey has been superintendent for 30 years." Strauss adds. "He's an alum, as is the majority of the staff there. Lieutenant Tawes has been his second in command his entire career."

"Bailey Shelton was only thirteen years old, one of the youngest students there. His death is probably key to the others." Rossi says, and no one can disagree.

On the ground, Strauss and Massey greet each other before turning to the agents. "This is the team I spoke with you about." She motions to Hotch, who introduces everyone else.

"Sir, shouldn't your flag be at half-mast?" Morgan asks, referencing the large flagpole they're standing under.

"I haven't told the boys yet." Massey almost shrugs, as if his posture hadn't been forcibly straightened by the US military.