(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟓) rescue

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA HAD OFFICIALLY SANG EVERY SONG on the 'day at the races' album. Now her mind was racing for something else to do. She had to do something or she feared she might just lose her mind.

She turned in her bed and began to sing softly to herself with her eyes closed. Athena imagined she was at the leavers ball again, in her shimmering dress. Spinning around. The memory was faded although it happened a long time ago despite it only being a few weeks. Athena presumed that it must have been at least a few weeks by now but she couldn't be sure.

"Love of my life, you've hurt me
You've broken my heart, and now you leave me
Love of my life, can't you see?
Bring it back, bring it back
Don't take it away from me"

It felt like a lifetime that she'd been here. She couldn't remember how it felt to not hurt everywhere, to not feel like death incarnate. She couldn't recall the taste of nice food or fresh water. All she got was some lukewarm jug that was rather unsatisfactory.

She couldn't remember the feeling of the outside air or a gentle touch that didn't make her cry out. Her fingers found the carved 'liar' in her arm and she began to trace it absentmindedly.

Most of all, Athena couldn't remember Remus. She couldn't remember what he felt like, what he sounded like, what he tasted like, what he smelt like. Athena could picture him in her mind but even that was hazy. Athena worried that her memory was slipping away every time she was placed under the curse. She couldn't stand it anymore.

Everyday she'd imagine the large metal door opening and Remus stepping in. He'd tell her he'd come to rescue her but he'd speak in the voice of the dark Lord, the only voice that seemed to stay in her head like a disease.

Athena wished that the image of Remus was real. He'd walk over to her and lightly move her hair away from her face but then he would talk and everything would be ruined. Why couldn't she remember his voice?

The door sprung open and Kennedy walked in. Athena didn't have enough energy to be angry at her anymore. She kept disappearing for a few days and then she'd come back like nothing had happened. She wouldn't tell Athena where she was going.

"Lunch" Kennedy muttered as she placed a place of bread onto the wooden chair so it was out of reach of the rats. Kennedy had been gone for a couple of weeks. Athena had been meaning to ask her something but now that she was here, it had slipped out her mind.

"He's back again today" Kennedy continued, "the dark Lord"

"Good" Athena shrugged, "his curse hurts less than Dacre"

"Interesting" Kennedy replied as though she didn't find this interesting in the slightest.

Suddenly it hit Athena, she remembered what she was meant to say.