(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟑) showers of paradise

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

NOVEMBER BROUGHT DULL SKIES AND BOREDM in Athena's opinion. Although visiting Samson hadn't gone well it had provided a small piece of excitement into the plain lives led by Athena and Remus.

Remus seemed to be pretending that it hadn't happened. Athena wished that he wouldn't. He did this all of the time as though he was constantly trying to shelter her from his own problems when in reality she didn't need that, she just wanted to know how he was.

They spent the majority of their days inside. Order meetings didn't change. Nothing was happening which led to the question, what was Voldemort planning?

Athena wasn't ungrateful to be loving this peaceful life in her family home with Remus by her side. It was the constant weight of worry and knowing that the war wasn't this easy. Knowing that something was going to happen sooner or later. The question was, what?

She tried not to live in fear of the war yet the days seemed darker and reality seemed a lot more cruel than it has been in Hogwarts. Truth is, Hogwarts was an escape. It was a facade showing happiness, nostalgia and hope that the future would be just as bright.

Athena and Remus were holding on to each other and those around them yet it was becoming more and more inevitable that wars had casualties and they were never going to be the same once they entered the darkness.

These were the thoughts that haunted Athena's dreams, or more accurately nightmares. A large part of her wished that she could go back to the time where sleep was widely unknown to her, that way she wouldn't have to see distorted images of pain and suffering when she closed her eyes.

Having Remus beside her made it better. When she woke in the middle of the night shaking while hearing her own screams on repeat in her mind, he was there. He was beside her and he'd hold her tight until she stood gasping for breath and she'd tell him what she'd seen. He always made it better.

It worked both ways. When Remus would come back from the moon, Athena would be next to him. She'd heal his wounds and lie in his arms until his breathing became louder and she knew that he'd drifted off. Remus had nightmares too but he was better at shielding his emotions.

Crucio

Athena saw flashes of her own pain in ways she had never imagined. Screaming and distorted faces of laughing. The colours merged into a terrifying catastrophe and in the centre of it all was the pale statanoc face of Lord Voldemort himself.

This was only the beginning. Her nightmares were convulsions of reality yet they stretched further into what she feared most. Here Athena was standing over those she loved and was watching as they screamed, writhing in pain and she couldn't do anything about it.

It was her screams coming from their mouths. Stretched wide, eyes open and pupils dilated with hatred as they stared at her. Athena tried to stop it, she clawed at her own skin as the small tickle of pain turned to an itch, to a burn, to an ache.