•40•

•New Years Eve•

April and Gianna flip through the dresses in my closet, practically gagging at each one. They can be pretty judgey, but that's exactly what I want for tonight. I want to dress up for Tom, and I just don't know how to do that. I've always been the 'cute' girl and for once I want to feel hot.
"Okay I'll go grab a couple of my dresses, they should fit." Gianna says, and grabs her keys to leave.
April gets started on my hair and makeup, and I see a photo on Instagram of Paddy and Lily on their date. My heart swells when I see how happy they look, I love that for her.
"I think Gianna is cheating on me." April blurts out and my eyes widen, looking to her through the reflection in the mirror.
"No way! She adores you!" I exclaim.
"I think it's with a guy.." she trails off. Oh no.
"Who?" I ask.
"Some guy named Joaquin. She's been texting him constantly and she's always leaving to hang out with someone but won't give me any other information." She explains. "She's bisexual.. so I just feel like maybe she doesn't want me anymore."
The sadness in her voice breaks my heart. Her and Gianna are one of the most beautiful couples I've ever seen, they can't break up. I won't let it happen.
"Would you maybe feel it out? Tell me if I'm just being paranoid?" She asks.
"Of course." I nod.
__
I put on the silky black spaghetti strap dress, that is far too short for my comfort. It bundles slightly just above my hips, making the shape of my body fully on display.
"Come on show us!" Gianna calls from outside of the bathroom.
I hesitantly walk out, and they both cheer happily when they see me.
"I have never felt so uncomfortable." I mutter. "I feel like my bum is gonna fall out!"
"You look amazing! Toms not going to be able to control himself." April comments.
I feel almost embarrassed to be wearing something so showy and extra. Hopefully I'm not judged for it..
Our Uber shows up and we go out, and head to the party. I nervously tap my fingers on my thighs, quickly regretting the outfit choice. I let April and Gianna talk me into the stupidest stuff.
We get to a big house- no a mansion, and I start to wonder how in the world Tom even knows someone who lives in a place like this. It must be Haz that got us in.
We walk up to the door, and a man stands outside, taking peoples names and letting them inside. We walk up, and the man looks us up and down.
"Go on in." He says.
"You didn't even get our names." I state.
"Sweetheart with an ass like that I don't need it." He says and April pulls me through the door.
If Tom was here, he'd be picking a fight with that guy. I'm so glad he didn't hear that.
"We're gonna go get a drink." Gianna says.
"I'm gonna find Tom."
I walk off on my own, pulling out my phone to text him. There's no way I'll find him if I don't. I just hope he actually has his phone on and hears it.
Eliana: I'm here where are you?
I make my way through the crowd, and off to a more open room. Where are you Tom?
"Hey pretty girl, you lost?"
I turn around, and see Haz who practically gags when he sees my face.
"Jesus Christ Eliana I thought you were some random girl!" He yells over the music.
"Tell me where Tom is and I won't tell him that you came onto me." I say.
"I thought I was coming onto a hot stranger!" He exclaims.
"You just called me hot. You're digging yourself a hole, Harrison." I laugh.
"I hate you." He says less than seriously, and grabs my hand to lead me through the crowd.
We go through to a different room, and I see my boy outside on the terrace. I pull from Haz and skip over, sneaking under his arm which makes him jump slightly until he sees me.
"Haz called me hot." I tell him and Haz scoffs.
"You said you wouldn't tell!" He says in a high pitched voice.
"I lied." I grin widely.
"Normally I'd be mad but damn.." Tom mutters as he pulls away to look at me. "You look.. wow. Fuck.."
"I'm leaving before you two start snogging." Haz says and walks off.
"Do you like it?" I ask, giving him a spin.
"Like it? Darling you look so fucking sexy." He says, kissing my bare shoulder.
Tom gets me a drink, and we end up in a group of people he seems to know. He chats with them and I look around the room, seeing Gianna is on her own as April is on the dance floor with a very drunk Haz. Now is my chance to do as I promised.
"I'll be right back." I mutter to Tom, and walk across the room to Gianna who is typing quickly on her phone.
"Hey, not a dancer?" I ask as I reach her.
"Not really." She shrugs.
"Who ya texting?" I attempt to ask casually.
"Just my friend Joaquin." She says. "He might come to the party."
He's the guy April told me about earlier.
"Oh.. how do you know him?" I ask.
This is so obvious...
"Through some friends.." she trails off.
"Does April know him?" I question and she laughs.
"What's going on?"
I sigh, setting down my drink on the table next to us.
"April thinks you might be cheating on her with him." I state.
"Oh my god! That's not it at all!" She laughs uncontrollably. "Joaquin is gay. He came out yesterday and I have been helping him have the confidence to do it. That's all that is going on between him and I."
I feel pure relief wash over me, I'm so happy this turned out okay. I know April would be heart broken if her suspicions were true.
I turn to grab my drink, and just as I turn around I see a guy slip a pill into it.
"You fucking piece of shit!" I yell at him, pulling my fist back and slam it forward into his nose. He groans in pain, cursing under his breath.
"Fuck off!" I yell at him.
The guy is quick to scurry off and Tom reaches me, looking for the guy but he's already disappeared into the crowd.
"Are you okay princess?" Tom asks with worry.
"You just punched that guy in the face!" Gianna laughs loudly.
"That felt so good but hurt so bad." I laugh lightly as Tom examines my hand.
"Let's go get you some ice." He says, and pulls me off.
We end up outside where there's way less people, looking out over the terrace at the city. I hold the ice to my hand, the pain slowly subsiding as it goes numb.
"You're a little fighter." Tom giggles with amusement.
"Sometimes I really hate being a girl.." I sigh. "We can't wear what we want, we can't go where we want, we can't do anything and feel safe because men will always feel entitled to our bodies. It's sad."
Tom runs his hand up and down my arm, warming me.
"I was watching you the whole time. No ones ever going to hurt you." He assures me.
"I shouldn't have to have a man watching over me. I should be able to live in a world where I don't fear men or what they will do to me..." I trail off, and a spark goes off in my brain.
"Tom.. I think I just figured out what I'm going to write my cosmopolitain article on."
The world needs to know how dangerous it is when men are raised to think they can have whatever they want. More women need to speak up and share their stories.. I have a platform now to do that.. and I'll be damned if I don't use it to tell my story. From the night that man at the club forced himself on me, to almost getting drugged tonight. I won't be silenced. They will read that and they will know that they didn't get away with it.
"You kick some journalism ass baby girl." Tom smiles proudly, and kisses my temple.