(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟏) obliviate

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

Dorcas Meadows
september 1959 - august 1981
daughter, friend, lover
she lived for everyone

SOMEHOW DORCAS' FUNERAL WAS HARDER than Marlene's had been. Maybe this was because Athena had one less person by her side. She sat with Remus and cried the entire time. Dorcas' parents had come back from Barcelona. They'd seemed so lost and had come to Athena for answers.

Athena could barely get through the story again without crying. She'd been asked to make a speech and at first she'd said no. How could she stand up there in front of all of these people and talk as though she wasn't actually dying in side. Athena could feel her heart decaying with every breath, feel another shard of her soul shatter whenever she thought of Dorcas and Marlene.

However in the end she agreed. Lily and James weren't able to come to this funeral either. Lily had been devastated by this but she supposed it had been expected after last time. Athena wished they were here, it felt as though their group was fading away. As though Lily and James were standing on a sinking ship, waving happily at Rena. Not realising that they were going under.

Marlene would have been the first choice for a speech but of course this was not going to happen. So after Dorcas' parents had said a few words. Athena found herself stood up in front of everyone, looking at their crying faces and sympathetic smiles. Athena didn't want their sympathy, bandaids didn't fix bullet holes.

"Um" Athena began awkwardly, suddenly forgetting everything she had wanted to say. However her eyes then found Remus who gave her a nod of encouragement. He was still here. Remus would always still be here.

"Dorcas was the strongest person I knew" Athena began, "I'd never looked up to someone more than her, she was fearless and powerful to the very end... Dorcas wasn't the kind of person who you'd forget meeting, she had this presence that lingered with you, her words would always stay in your mind. She might forget you but you'd never forget her"

"She wanted so much in life, Dorcas was never reasonable, she knew what she could achieve and she did it. Dorcas went for things in life rather than dreaming about them. Dorcas really lived, she really loved... she was in love"

"Her love can't be here today because she's with Dorcas now, they've been reunited... they've suffered enough, I think it's fitting to imagine that they've got their happy ending now"

"Dorcas was a vision of life and it's hard to imagine that she's not here anymore. But she's not gone because as I said, people who know Dorcas never forget her. She'll live forever in memories, I think we'll all make sure of that. I think it's fair to say that Dorcas didn't just live for herself.... Dorcas lived for everyone.

☽☽☽

September began and Athena was glad to see the back of August. Summer had turned cold just as fast as winter had turned warm. Athena found herself sitting alone staring back at old photos.