(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟐) broken trust

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA LAY IN REMUS' ARMS and felt at home. She'd memorised the sound of his breathing, the beat of his heart that was still contained inside the golden locket he'd bought her so many years ago. Now Athena knew that she would never take it off. It had become a part of him, just as he had.

He was asleep but she couldn't be more awake. Since October had arrived it felt like everyone was biding their time. It had been a couple of weeks since Peter's visit yet his words had been stuck in her head. She was sure that he would be made secret keeper soon enough.

Once Peter was secret keeper, there would be no denying what was going to happen anymore. Athena was terrified, she lived in constant fear. She barely slept anymore, her mind was just wondering how people would react. She didn't want Lily and James to be scared but she knew they would be. She had seen it on their faces in the vision.

She hadn't thought much about a longtime future because a large part of herself believed that she wouldn't make it. Even if she did, it wouldn't be living. However since Peter had visited she couldn't think of much else.

They'd have to recover, maybe it would take a while but Athena would have to be strong. After all she's had time to come to terms with it, she supposed that put her ahead of everyone else.

She thought of Harry and wondered whether it would be here or Sirius who took up the mantle of looking after him. Neither of them would want the constant reminder of Lily and James but this was not Harry's fault. It wouldn't effect the way that either of them treated him, they would show him endless love. Any other option was out of the question.

Athena would take him in without a second thought. Of course this is not the future she wanted for him. She wanted him to grow old with his parents by his side. She wanted him to know who Lily and James were, she couldn't stand the idea that he might not even remember them.

She'd tell him everything about them, she'd tell him stories of how incredible they'd been. Athena would make sure that Harry didn't grow up only knowing a shadow of who his parents were. It was bad enough that they wouldn't be here.

Athena was sure that Sirius would do exactly the same. Maybe they would both raise him. Kennedy and Remus too. She kept trying to tell herself that nothing was ever as dark as she believed it to be. She'd grown used to the idea of death this year. Losing Marlene had been the start of her breaking but after the war she'd have time to mend.

She had accepted that she was going to feel worse than she ever had, Athena was preparing herself for the crumble. Maybe nothing she did would ever really prepare herself, nothing could stop her heart from breaking when Lily and James were inevitably going to die but she hoped that her mind would stay stable when it needed to. For Remus, for Sirius, for Kennedy. She would have to be ok.

"You awake?" Remus asked. She sat up and turned to him. His hair was messed from sleep which Athena loved.

"No I'm asleep" Athena joked as she leant down to kiss him gently.