(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟑𝟎) empty shells

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA STOOD OUTSIDE ST MUNGO'S WITH AN OVERWHELMING SENSE OF FEAR. The official entrance was in an old muggle clothes shop. It couldn't be noticed by those who didn't know it was there. As Athena walked up to it and stared at the mannequin inside she wondered whether she was actually ready or whether her mind was simply fooling her.

Taking a deep breath she spoke out to no one but knew that people were listening,

"I'm here to visit a patient"

"State your name please" one of the mannequins spoke,

"Athena Sinistra"

After a pause the mannequin nodded and Athena stepped through the glass and into the hospital. It was busy inside. People were running around, waiting to visit their loved ones. Athena wondered whether any of them had hope. Whether any of the ones that they loved were ok or whether (just like Athena) they were completely lost.

Healers were striding around in white robes, clipboards in hand as they talked to one another in a serious manner. Athena hated hospitals. She had never liked being here, nothing was ever good when Athena stood in these halls.

People had lost their lives here, people that Athena knew. It wasn't as though death really shocked her anymore, she had become so accustomed to it. Now more than ever she realised that it was just another stage that everyone went through.

She walked further past the waiting room and over to the front desk. The woman sat behind it looked incredibly bored as she twirled a strand of purple hair around her finger. There was a queue waiting for her and she talked in a drawling voice as though she didn't really understand what people were going through.

After two or three other visitors, Athena made it to the front of the queue.

"I'm here to see Alice and Frank Longbottom" she spoke clearly. The woman seemed to recognise the name, Athena wasn't surprised. After all their names had been on the front of every paper all week.

There was a flash of sympathy in the woman's eyes as she turned to the papers in front of her and cast her eyes over them.

"Second floor, third ward" the woman told Athena. She nodded in satisfaction with this response before she turned and walked away.

Taking deep breaths to steady herself, Athena ignored everyone around her as she walked to where she needed to be. Keeping her head down, she continued to hear the sound of her heels against the floor and wished she had gone home first to change. She looked too put together and this didn't correlate with how she was feeling.

She took long strides to get to where she needed to be, taking the stairs two at a time. It wasn't as though she wanted this over with. Athena didn't want to spent too much time in the hospital, the white walls and the sickly smell that brought back too many bad memories.