two

TWO
of weakness and woes

ARABELLA WALKED THROUGH A SERIES OF WHITE WALLS, her steps echoed softly against the marble floors as she entered the grand hallway, her eyes widening at the walls adorned in grand paintings and patterns. The chandeliers seemed to cast a golden glow upon the room, she took a deep breathe as the doors opened and she was met by socialites and suitors, all of whom had their eyes on her. 

She felt her chest tighten and the air around her constrict, her dress grew heavier by the second all eyes were on her, their whispers mingling with the soft strings of music. She could only imagine what they were saying. The Leversays were considered wealthy but they were also scandalised and rumored about, all due to their rare outings. 

However, she continued to glide, arm in arm, lead by her father, Viscount Benjamin Leversay, in what she liked to imagine was a quest to find a husband. An adventure. After an unimaginable few steps in silence, everyone returned to their murmuring ways. Her initial entrance was not as nerve-wracking as Arabella had imagined. 

Arabella's mother stood on the other side of Benjamin, gripping his arm tightly, she was reluctant to accompany her family, but Geneva had always been one to please the social piranhas and the gossiping eyes of their town. Arabella watched as her mother socialised with her "friends" all of whom she would talk about in a disapproving tone once they returned home.

"Oh, what about him, papa?" Arabella started while staring at a young man who had gelled back black hair, he looked very appealing to Arabella. He was standing next to another man who could pass as his brother due to their likeness. 

"That is Lord Huston Werreth," Her father said, voice slow as he was analysing him. Although Lord Huston was not disagreeable and was suitable, there was no denying that Arabella deserved better, "I do not believe he would be appropriate for your first dance,".

"Very well, papa." She said, not asking any further questions. She trusted her father's judgement, although she was glad he disapproved, her nerves were skyrocketing as she ventured closer to the growing crowds of men.

Before she knew it, her father was introducing her to a group of people, whom she had never met before.

"Arabella, dear, this is my colleague, Lord Andrew Deverson and his son, Connell Deverson," Her father said gesturing his hand toward the young man. Arabella smiled and curtsied as she said her hello's, however as the conversation drifted, Arabella got lost in her thoughts and her eyes began to wander around the room.

"Perhaps, Connell would accompany Arabella for a dance." Lord Andrew suggested, noticing that Arabella and his son had both lost interest in the conversation at hand. With a curt nod to both fathers, the two made their way to the middle of the floor and where they were engulfed into an array of dancing romantics.

With a hand on her waist and another on his shoulders. Arabella and Connell began to dance, neither of them saying a word.

"I apologise for my father," said Arabella, feeling as though Connell was disinterested in being with her at the moment.

"No, my lady, this is an honor. Your father may have suggested it but I wanted to ask you the moment I saw you." Connell said with a sweet smile.

Arabella tried to conceal the smile on her lips and she nodded, unsure of how to respond to such a shielded compliment. Connell on the other hand was wondering whether what he said was too forward considering they had only met each other mere moments ago.

"I've never seen you in town, even though my father speaks to your father every day almost," Connell said, raising a brow at the small girl.

"My mother didn't think it was appropriate for me to entre the season" Arabella spoke, the more she thought about it, the more she wondered why she wasn't allowed out, at all. 

"Ahh, your mother. People are whispering, you see," He said, quietly.

Arabella grew nervous at his statement, "And what pray tell are they speaking about?,"

"How it's been years since anyone has seen you," Connell said, he cleared his throat a little as they waltzed around the room, "And, how beautiful you have become." he whispered that last part. 

Arabella blushed at this comment, probably the first time anyone has ever called her beautiful. She was always told the richness of her skin was too dark. She looked away sheepishly. Connell on the other hand looked at Arabella with a big smile, proud that he had made her blush. 

"I am quite parched, do you wish for a glass of water?" Connell asked, kindly as the song came to an end.

"Please," Arabella replied as she found herself drifting into the crowd of people and onto the sidelines, waiting for Connell. She wondered whether or not she should be dancing with other men and talking to others. Exploring her options, if not too improper for a young girl such as herself.

She looked around the room only to find Connell chatting with some other beautiful girl, he gave the girl the cup of water that was intended for Arabella. She shrugged her shoulders and simply assumed that all was fair, and only confirmed her thoughts.

Arabella's father soon approached her with another man at his side. She curtsied at the two men. 

"Arabella, my dear. I would like you to meet Viscount Bridgerton," Benjamin said, taking a swig of his bourbon.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance," Arabella said quietly, with a nod of her head. Quickly diverting her eyes away from his strong gaze. 

"Pleasure is all mine," the dark haired, disheveled man said politely with a curt nod.

From the small glances Arabella had taken at the Viscount she gathered that he was extremely young for his title and power, however, there was no denying that he was handsome.

"Downders!," Arabella's father said loudly, walking after what Arabella assumed as another colleague. Which left the Viscount and Arabella to stand side by side awkwardly. 

Arabella looked at Connell for a moment longer, forgetting that the Viscount was standing beside her. He cleared his throat and turned towards the girl, "How are you finding this years season?" He asked.

"Pardon?" Arabella asked, as she turned her head from Connell to the Viscount. 

"The season," he reiterated, staring at the chestnut woman in front of him. 

"I suppose I don't have much to compare too," Arabella replied, shortly. She wasn't particularly confident and dreaded the small talk he was making.

"I gathered this was your first season," the Viscount said, politely. Arabella turned her face quickly to look at him with a concerned expression. 

"Am I so out of place that it is obvious?" She asked him, as she slowly worried about everything.

"I suppose I lied when I said I made the presumption that it was your first season, I just heard from around the room," He said at an attempt to make her feel better. 

"Is the whole room gossiping? Do I look so terrible?" She spoke quietly, as she forgot that she was conversing with the Viscount as she was so lost in her head.

"No- no, I apologise. You are doing fine," He said, after a small pause he spoke again, "You look fine.". 

However, his words of attempted endearment flew through Arabella as she continued to worry and stood in silence. The Viscount was soon drawn into a conversation at the other side of the room - he bid the girl fair-well as she continued to stew in her worry.