032

(tw (just to be safe than sorry): this chapter mentions the topics of dr*gs and ab*se. this chapter is actually very personal for me and i wouldn't have been able to have the courage to write it if it weren't for all of the healing that's been done in the past, the present, and the healing that will be needed in the future. there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, i would know.)

December 25th

Skye woke up on Christmas morning bright and early as she simply couldn't wait to open her presents. Christmas always made her feel like a little kid again, and it reminded her of the times when things were innocent and seemed to be okay. It always reminded her of her mother as well, especially before Skye had grown up and learned the harsh reality of her parents' relationship.

Brushing away the thoughts of the past, Skye tiptoed to her dad's room to see if he had gotten out of bed already, which he had, then hurried down the stairs in her pajamas so she could finally head to the living room. Scott, like always, was up in the early hours of the morning as his work schedule made him accustomed to it, sitting in his chair with a cup of coffee as he waited for his daughter. Skye should probably get him to reconnect with his old friends if his only child was practically his best friend.

"Merry Christmas," Skye said, wrapping her arms around her dad from behind.

"Merry Christmas, pumpkin." Scott cooed. "Want me to make breakfast?"

"After we open presents." She replied, then let go of her dad went over to the couch. "You're gonna make the pancakes shaped like snowmen, right?"

"I could attempt." He shrugged. By attempt, he means he'll actually do it, but Scott liked the element of surprise.

"Yes," Skye said excitedly under her breath.

"Let me get the presents." Her dad said, getting up from her chair to grab presents from the Christmas tree.

Scott came back with a box, one that didn't seem heavy when Skye got it in her hands and went to shake it. "I didn't get much, but you'll be excited anyway."

"Dad, no amount of presents can determine my love for-" Skye stopped, looking down at what was inside. "A box full of money? Nice!"

"I expect you to save it for college, but I know too well you'll spend it all on nonsense items." He said, which was absolutely true.

"God, you know me too well." She said in awe. Skye could see herself buying plenty of new pairs of Vans and Converse, but maybe she should actually set it aside.

"That's not all though." Scott continued, going back to the tree to give Skye the rest of her presents.

"There's more-"

"I got you a few more things." Her dad interrupted.

Skye opened up the rest of her presents one by one, gasping in shock and going to hug her dad every single time. She had learned to appreciate everything Scott got her knowing how hard he worked for the two of them, but he always managed to put a smile on his daughter's face no matter what.

After going through all of the new clothes, phone cases, gift cards, and whatnot, Skye hugged her dad one last time, thanking him yet again for all of the Christmas gifts. "This is all the best, thank you."