18. dude, where's my brownies?

TWO MONTHS LATER

TWO MONTHS LATER

"I MEAN IT RINGO," Julia Wheeler repeated for the fourth time, her blonde hair flowing in the air behind her as she stomped down the hall in chase of her daughter. The girl in question rolled her eyes at her mother's demands - she had been hearing it from her since revealing that she and the others were going to a Cheap Trick concert.

Indeed, the very same Cheap Trick concert that Ringo has a mental breakdown over during Summer for not being able to afford a ticket. But with Radio Ringo now one of Hawkins FM's most listened to shows, she had worked up enough to pay for her own and be absolved of any guilt she'd have felt if someone bought a ticket for her.

The blonde was brimming with excitement as she touched up her make up in the mirror, prepping herself as quickly as she could before she'd be leaving for Indianapolis. Although her haste didn't matter to Julia - who was adamant on demanding her daughter didn't dabble with any illegal substances at the concert.

"Mom, you grew up in the 60s," Ringo deadpanned, "I don't think there's anything I can do at this concert that you haven't done. And besides, I'm going for the music!"

"Who goes to concerts for the music?" Julia recoiled in surprise, leaning her shoulder against the doorframe to her daughter's bedroom. "Don't people just go for the sex, alcohol and acid?"

"See that right there tells me that you are in no position to be telling me not to do anything," she grinned widely at her mother, who had basically admitted to being a bit of a wild card in her youth.

"Maybe because I've experienced so much, I'm trying to steer you in the right direction," Julia chuckled to herself. Who was she kidding? Ringo didn't need drugs to have a thrill. No, instead she could just spend five minutes with Mike Wheeler and his friends and endanger her life ten times worse than any substance could do.

Checking the time after hearing the honk of a horn, Ringo cussed upon seeing that she was somewhat late. Despite her pleas to the gang to be allowed to drive her own car to Indianapolis, nobody agreed - not even Ben who was usually too scared to disagree with anyone. Her bad driving was once the butt of many jokes, but now she had actually hit someone it was proof in their eyes that she couldn't be trusted. The fact that person was Billy Hargrove and she was purposely saving someone's life mattered little to them.

"Ugh, I wish I could go," Sunny sighed from the couch, which she was sprawled across watching TV. Her eyes flitted after her older foster sister, soon to be actual sister if Julia's adoption application was granted by the court, jealous that Ringo was getting to go out and do something fun.

"Why aren't you with the crew?" Ringo questioned with confusion, stuffing some belongings into a handbag and then shrugging her coat on. At the sound of a second honk of Steve's car, she could only roll her eyes at his impatience. They had plenty of time.