Poison and Beater Bats to the Back of the Head

Late in the afternoon, a few days after New Year, Estella, Harry, Ron, and Ginny lined up beside the kitchen fire to return to Hogwarts. The Ministry had arranged this one-off connection to the Floo Network to return students quickly and safely to school. Only Mrs. Weasley was there to say goodbye, as Mr. Weasley, Estella's father, Fred, George, Bill, and Fleur were all at work. Mrs. Weasley dissolved into tears at the moment of parting. Admittedly, it took very little to set her off lately; she had been crying on and off ever since Percy had stormed from the house on Christmas Day with his glasses splattered with mashed parsnip (for which Fred, George, and Ginny all claimed credit).

"Don't cry, Mum," said Ginny, patting her on the back as Mrs. Weasley sobbed into her shoulder. "It's okay..."

"Yeah, don't worry about us," said Ron, permitting his mother to plant a very wet kiss on his cheek, "or about Percy. He's a prat, it's not really a loss, is it?"

Mrs. Weasley sobbed harder than ever as she enfolded Estella and Harry in her arms.

"Promise me you'll look after yourself...Stay out of trouble..."

"Will do, Mrs. Weasley," said Estella as Harry said, "I always do, Mrs. Weasley. I like a quiet life, you know me."

She gave a watery chuckle and stood back. "Be good, then, all of you..."

Estella stepped into the emerald fire and shouted, "Hogwarts!" She had one last fleeting view of the Weasleys' kitchen and Mrs. Weasley's tearful face before the flames engulfed her; spinning very fast, she caught blurred glimpses of other Wizarding rooms, which were whipped out of sight before she could get a proper look; then she was slowing down, finally stopping squarely in the fireplace in Professor McGonagall's office. She barely glanced up from her work as she clambered out over the grate.

"Evening, Estella. Try not to get too much ash on the carpet."

"I shall do my best."

Estella moved out of the way as Ron, Harry, and Ginny came peering into view. When they had all arrived, all four of them trooped out of McGonagall's office and off toward Gryffindor Tower. Estella glanced out of the corridor windows as they passed; the sun was already sinking over the grounds carpeted in deeper snow than had lain over the Burrow garden. In the distance, she could see Hagrid feeding Buckbeak in front of his cabin.

"Baubles," said Ron confidently when they reached the Fat Lady, who was looking rather paler than usual and winced at his loud voice.

"No," she said.

"What d'you mean, 'no'?"

"There is a new password," she said. "And please don't shout."

"But we've been away, how're we supposed to-?"

"Estella! Harry! Ginny!"

Hermione was hurrying toward them, pink-faced and wearing a cloak, hat, and gloves.

"I got back a couple of hours ago, I've just been down to visit Hagrid and Buck-I mean Witherwings," she said breathlessly. "Did you have a good Christmas?"

"Yeah," said Ron at once, "pretty eventful, Rufus Scrim-"

"I've got something for you, both of you," said Hermione, neither looking at Ron nor giving any sign that she had heard him, instead addressing Estella and Harry. "Oh, hang on-password. Abstinence."

"Precisely," said the Fat Lady in a feeble voice and swung forward to reveal the portrait hole.

"What's up with her?" asked Harry.

"Overindulged over Christmas, apparently," said Hermione, rolling her eyes as she led the way into the packed common room. "She and her friend Violent drank their way through all the wine in that picture of drunk monks down by the Charms corridor..."