Chapter 5

If you'd asked Hanji Zoe to tell you about Angharad Jaeger, she'd start by telling you three things

1.      Angharad was selfless. She would always put her friends first, and often times Hanji had to remind her to take care of herself as well as others. The young scientist would always find Ang cleaning up after everyone else to avoid further punishments for their training squad, picking up dishes, or cleaning the women's barracks before inspections.

2.      Angharad was a mother figure, and she liked to take care of others. Hanji could tell this much by the way she always seemed to take notice of where her friends were at any given time. She always tried to make it as inconspicuous as possible, but Hanji could see when her eyes were darting back and forth, and how she immediately took account of other people in any given room. She knew when Nanaba wanted to spend time with Mike and would find a way to give them space. She knew when Nile had a hangover and, with no questions asked, would make him a strong cup of coffee the morning after his escapades. She knew when Erwin was running out of space in his notebooks, with his brain constantly running through new strategies and tactics. During such time that he had to start writing smaller and cram his notes into as little space as possible, Erwin would find a brand new pocketbook amongst his textbooks for their lessons.

3.      Angharad was lonely. She never explicitly said she was, but Hanji could always tell when her friend was feeling a bit down and needed the extra comfort and support of her best friend. She would become quieter, wouldn't quite talk as much, and her green eyes would be downcast in front of her. Hanji always found the best cure to this was a glass of whiskey on the rocks, and a quiet chat between the two of them.

The bar was busier than usual. With it being a day off for a lot of solders, she could see several shoulder patches emblazoned with the crossed roses belonging to the Garrison. She looked around the room before finding two freshly empty tables in the back corner. She pushed her way through other patrons of the bar, who grumbled in annoyance before stumbling away. Hanji followed right behind her and promptly helped her push the two tables together. As the rest of their friends made it to their corner, Ang began to stack the empty plates and glasses on the table.

"Ang, you don't work here anymore. Someone will come around to get it in a minute." Nile told her. He was met with the annoyed face of the shorter blonde, who still hadn't taken a seat yet.

"Just because I don't work here, doesn't mean I can't help out." She continued collecting the dishware as a voice popped up from her left.

"Ma'am, you don't have to-" Ang looked up to the small woman whom she adored during her time working here. "Ang!" The strawberry blonde was shocked, the half-empty tray in her hand slipping slightly before Ang helped her right her grip.

"Marie!" Ang smiled at young woman. "How are you?"

"M-Me?" Marie was looked behind her at their table before looking back to Angharad. "I'm fine. It's a busy night and Carla and I are kind of struggling to keep up." Marie looked back to the table. "Hi Hanji." Marie gave a small wave to the woman in the corner.