Origins: Part 2

Y/n's POV

"My dear, I've wanted you to meet someone for a while now. Someone who will guide you after I'm gone." Clasping my hands in her frail ones, her wise e/c eyes meet my own. A lump of worry pushes at my throat.

"...do you think that soon you're-"
"I am certain I don't have long left. I made the mistake of spending the last year of my life serching for something that's been infront of me the whole time. Something and someone."

Tilting my head in confusion, the old woman laughs lightly.
"Wayzz, you can-"
"Sorry to cut you off, master. But should we really be doing this exchange in the open?" A small male sounding voice pipes up, confusing me beyond belief.

"Gran, did your coat just talk?"

The woman laughs again, this time hobbling towards the wooden stairs, gesturing for me to follow.
"Help me to your room, sweet?"
"Of course!" Rushing over, I reach out a hand for her to take and leave my other arm for her to lean on.
'The faster we get to somewhere private, the faster I can find out what's going on', I nod to myself mentally.
I close the door with my foot, pushing on the wood until a soft 'click' rings out.
After assisting gran in lowering herself gently to my bed to sit down, her wrinkled cheeks pull up into a light smile before petting the ruby red duvet cover.
"Sit down, you'll need to."

Doing as she instructs, the mattress shifts slightly under my weight. A small, lime green turtle-like creature makes its way into view after revealing itself from underneath my great grandmother's coat.
"Hello young miss, I am Wayzz. I'm Master Anki's kwami."
The creature bows his head as he floats in the air, causing me to let out a yelp and almost fall off the bed.

"There's no need to be afraid, sweet. Don't you remember those stories I'd tell you as a child? The ones about the 'magical creatures' that give power to good people?" She waves her pale hands in the air with an overenthusiastic yet tired grin. "That's what a kwami is... well, almost."

"A creature that gives powers? I-" Wayzz cuts in with a sympathetic tone, "I believe Tikki should be here to listen in."
Gran nods at this. "Tikki is going to be your kwami, Y/n. You are going to do great things together as heroes."
In a panic, I begin to flail my hands around as my expression turns to one of fear.
"You must have this wrong. I'm far from a hero!" I lower my eyes to the carpeted floor, a mix of emotions coursing through me.

'This has to be some type of cruel joke but, knowing my great grandmother...'

Wayzz floats over, his little lime arm nubs lifting my chin up to look him in the eyes.
"Miss Y/n, not only were you chosen by Master Anki..." he turns his head towards my desk with a fond expression. "...Tikki chose you as well. Her presence is near."

Looking towards my desk, my eyebrows furrow in confusion. My head snaps back to my great grandmother, my h/c hair almost whipping me in the face as I search for answers in her eyes. My e/c orbs cast down to her outstretched hand, a single onyx and gold earring sits in her palm glistening beautifully in the light of my bedroom.

My heart skips a beat, my brain finally connecting the pieces as I spring up and scramble to retrieve its partner from my draw. Returning back to my great grandmother, I slip the jewel into her hand, her frail fist closing around it before my fingers can be retracted. She shakily places her other hand ontop of mine and pushes the earrings towards my chest.

"Put them on." A smile shines brightly in her eyes, making it hard to not nod in compliance.
Tossing the silver hoops from my earlobes to the sheets, I slide the onyx and gold half-domes into their places. Not long after, a burst of ruby red erupts before my eyes, leaving behind another kwami.

"Hello, Y/n. I'm Tikki, the ladybug kwami! I hope we can get along!" The feminine bug creature bows her head, fluttering her big blue eyes as she lifts it back up.

Breathing in, way past being shocked at this point, I muster a small smile for the cute kwami. "I hope so as well."

"You must be wondering why I've revealed this to you now of all times, Y/n... why we need heroes right now. A mistake I made in the past has come to bite not just myself, but Japan as a whole. There are many jewels called miraculouses that grant different powers depending on which kwami possesses them. The ladybug earrings as an example are linked to the power of luck." Her e/c eyes shift over to Wayzz, her breath running short as she begs him to continue for her.

"A new threat is on the rise, taking the form of a villain holding the miraculouses of the butterfly and the peafowl... two miraculouses lost many decades ago in a fire. Master Anki would take care of this revolution herself but..." his eyes scan the woman over with a look of concern. "A new age of heroes is needed if this new force is to be properly suppressed."

I give a nod of understanding before raising a question that has been nagging at my thoughts. "You say 'heroes', as in the plural... will I be accompanied by a partner?"

Gran nods her head, a light smile causing her dimples to show. "Now you're catching on. The ladybug hero has always fought side by side with their counterpart... their opposite and complementary piece; the holder of the black cat miraculous. Together, they are the balance needed to overthrow the evil in this world. Yin and yang."