53 - The Substitute ❣️

It was hard to decide which was more gratifying—Lady Jaise marching into Tyriel's cave gallery to demand him hand over his hidden accounts and ill-gotten relics (which included Meya's eye), or her declaring to Elmund Herzin that Atmund would be placed under her wardship.

What was more, as they rode Winterwen's carriage back to the castle, Lady Jaise proposed they postpone their departure, so Meya could visit the Library of Eyes and learn more about dragons.

To Meya's delight, Coris agreed, but even first light tomorrow couldn't have come quickly enough. The euphoria of triumph, the prospect of unraveling the mystery of her kind, had purged tire from her limbs and drowsiness from her head.

"Could've taken us there straightaway. The night's still young."

Grumbled Meya, arms folded over her ample bosom. She lounged against the stone wall of the small bathing pool filled with steaming spring water by masked chambermaids.

Coris shed his silken bathrobe then sat down on the edge, his feet cleaving through the water like butter knives through molass.

"Patience, my dragon lady. She must investigate Wert's finances and help Atmund settle in first."

Meya glowered at him, to which Coris smiled in satisfaction. When his eyes fell upon her restored eye, his grin sagged. He lifted a hesitant hand, then caressed it with the barest tip of his fingers.

"Does it still hurt?" He whispered. Even as her heart shuddered at the memory of Tyriel's Lattis cloak and the blood market, Meya hitched up a brazen grin,

"Peace, me human lord. I'm fine."

Coris narrowed his eyes. Meya heaved a weary sigh of surrender.

"Very well, I'm not." She mumbled. Coris slid down beside her. She leaned her head against his bony shoulder as he looped his arm around her back,

"'Tis a good start, but now the road seems much longer than I thought."

"You also gained allies. They'd make your journey speedier and smoother." Coris gave her arm a little squeeze. Meya didn't hold back the smile that had crept up on her lips. She tried in vain to snuggle up against his flank. If only he'd had more flesh over his ribcage.

"Sorry. For not telling you first." She murmured. Coris' sigh caressed the top of her head. Or that could've been the draft from the gap in the drapes. One couldn't tell from the similar lack of heat.

"It's all very well. I understand." So he said, but he gathered her close. Meya's heart writhed with guilt. "You needed my genuine reaction to convince Winterwen you're Lady Hadrian."

"And you delivered flawlessly." Meya hid her blushing cheeks behind her hair. Coris shrugged.

"I was scared out of my wits. I truly am." He laughed, as if he hoped it would distract from his trembling hand, "I was furious with myself. I've failed to protect my own."

"I'm sorry." Meya coiled her arm around his waist, steering the topic away to lighten the mood,

"Things turned out much different from what I'd expected, though. Better, even. Who would've thought Winterwen's a secret champion of Greeneyes? I was thinking I'd threaten that bastard with a usury charge or summat, if I couldn't get Winterwen to budge."

Coris nodded deeply.

"Now you've learned your lesson. Gather as much information as possible before making a decision. So you wouldn't have to improvise."

Meya rolled her eyes in equal parts annoyance, affection and amusement. Coris pulled away and turned to face her full. His gray eyes beaming, his cheeks rosy from the water's heat, he looked awash with happiness. For the first time since she'd known him, the lingering air of decay and melancholy around him seemed to have thinned.