VII

"what- no, well i mean yes i do— but im not forcing you- you don't have to" i rambled on.

dream sauntered over, sitting himself down beside me. he turned his torso to face me, cupping my cheeks.

"i don't mind y'know- it'd be nice to not wear the mask for a while." he chuckled, letting go of my face.

the blond male placed his hands over mine, guiding them up to his mask straps. i paused for a moment, almost pulling my hands away.

"it's okay."

i nodded, slowly unclipping the mask. my eyes widened, hearing the mask fall onto my lap.

his lips turned up into a smirk, faint dimples forming. freckles dusted his face, more prominent around his nose.

a pink scar ran across the bridge of his nose, a few faint scars were scattered around the rest of his face, one causing a slit in his right eyebrow. his fern green eyes stared into my e/c ones.

i was completely awestruck.

laughter erupted from dream, he ran a hand through his wavy hair.

i didn't say anything, too busy taking in his face. it was almost overwhelming, after anticipating what he looked like for a while.

i absentmindedly reached out, caressing my thumb along the smooth scar on his nose, brushing my hand down his cheek.

"sapnap- when we were sparring together." he explained.

dream cupped my hand with his, holding it against his face. i ran my thumb across his lips.

locking eyes with mine, he smiled.

we sat there for a moment, studying each other's features. my eyes scanning every last detail, almost trying to memorise them.

caressing my thumb against his cheek, i smiled.

dream and i were inches away from each other, i could practically feel his breath against my skin. i jumped out of my daze, pulling my hand back.

his gaze burned into me as he watched me pull back, he let out a light sigh, standing up.

"im going to get more wood for the fire- make yourself at home." he nodded at me, walking towards the front door. he swung it open, turning back to me.

he gave me a quick smile and then left, shutting the spruce door behind him.

i internally died, covering my face with my hands. what was i doing, i hardly knew this man but something seemed oddly familiar about him.

i lay down on the bed, covering myself in the multiple blankets and sheets. i tried suppressing the overcoming drowsiness.

staring at the dancing flames of the fire, my eyes slowly closed.

~*~*~*~

dream pov

the door creaked shut, the cool air hitting my bare face.

i wandered down the steps, picking up my axe from it's upright position against the wall.

the white moonlight lit up the clearing around the house. giving everything an icy atmosphere.

i couldn't shake the interaction with y/n from my head.

nearing towards the pile of logs left of my house, i ran a hand through my hair and down my face, letting out a shaky sigh.

the axe made a loud grinding sound as i dragged it across the cobbled path. i picked up a few logs, carrying them over to a large, moss covered stump in the ground and setting them up.

i planted my feet firmly on the ground, raising the axe above my head and preparing to swing down into the log below me.

"so this is where you went off to." a voice murmured.

i swung my axe in the direction of the noise, my head whipping around to face the owner.

sapnap stood a few inches away from the blade, his hands up, a large smirk plastering his face.

"what are you doing here you idiot- i could have killed you." i frowned at him, dropping my axe onto the dirt ground.

"i doubt that-" the raven haired boy mused, leaning back against one of the larger trees in the clearing.

"i couldn't find you at the castle, so i came looking for you." his dark eyes glared into mine.

"why- is something wrong? is george okay?" panic struck within me.

"nothing is wrong- punz is on guard tonight."

"then why did you come here?" i sat myself down on the stump, clamping my hands together.

sapnap flicked his flint and steel from out of his sleeve and began playing with it, clicking it on and off.

"i wanted to know where you've been going these last few nights."

i stared down at my partially gloved hands, fumbling with my fingers.

"but i know now." his tone shifted as he nodded towards the small cabin.

"you know- george wouldn't like this, you sneaking around- hiding things from him." sapnap continued.

"oh come on."

the younger male began to walk closer to me, resting a hand against my shoulder.

"your his guard, dream. how would he feel knowing you were fraternising with the enemy."

" l'manburg isn't our enemy- y/n isn't even a citizen." i stated, clenching my jaw.

his expression shifted slightly, a small smile gracing his features.

"is that so?" he chuckled to himself.

"well dream. i'll see you back at the castle tomorrow- the court requires your presence for something important."

and with that, sapnap began to retire into the woods, the dense forest swiftly shading his figure.

a/n- i just want to thank you all for 1k+ reads wow im blown away- i hope you're all enjoying the story! votes + comments are super appreciated <3