Chapter 7| AYA

"Why did you do that? It would be best if you hadn't taken the blame. I was wrong. I should have just bought the flowers." 

I feel so guilty having "Trainee Cid" take the blame for my wrong decision to get the flowers from W instead of just buying one. Guilt and gratitude replaced the annoyance I felt for him during the meeting. With the HR officer's disappointed look, I was sure he knew I intentionally taken the flowers without paying for them. But "Trainee Cid", I think I should start calling him just by his name. After the sacrifice he had made for me. They could have fired him. I wouldn't be able to live with that. 

"Don't worry about it. You were the one who arranged this, so keep it," said Cid.

"How did you know I arranged this?" He surprised me.

"Um, I just guessed. By the way, for whom are the flowers?" He asked.

"I am visiting someone today and the flowers are for him," I replied.

"Boyfriend? Husband?" asked Cid with a frown.

I looked at him, trying to analyze if I could trust him. I guess I owe him to know the story behind the flowers, since he sacrificed himself to save me from losing my job. And maybe if he learns to whom I have made the flowers, he will feel the worth of what he has done for me. In my five years of just being with Jane's company, I thought it was right to show Cid the other part of my life.

"Do you want to go with me? I feel so guilty that they kicked you out from W today because of me."

He giggled. "Are you sure? Do you want me to come with you?"

"Yes, let us go!" I nodded and guided him to the bus stop. 

Silence hovered between us as we walked to the bus stop. Cid has a smile, but it's not the annoying smirking face I saw last night. As we rode the bus, I covered his fare. That is the least I can do. Though he looked as if he wanted to stop me, I smiled and signaled that I got it. He was quiet, but ready to follow me wherever I told him to go. What are you doing, Aya? Why are you opening your life to a stranger?

"We are here." I immediately walked to the bus door. 

Cid closely followed as we walked towards the entrance of the vast parkland. His silence showed me another side of him. I am sure he has questions, but I admire him for not voicing them out now. As we walked through the lots with different markings and names, I felt Cid pause for a few seconds. Like he contemplated if he would continue. I looked back in his direction and then he started walking toward me again. As soon as I saw Angel's spot, I stopped and sat on the green grass that surrounds the silver tombstone that bears Angel's name. Cid was standing behind me. 

"Welcome to my second home." I pointed around the surrounding area and then touched the name engraved on the stone. "This is my baby, and his name is Angel." 

"I am so sorry," Cid spoke with a sad face. 

I just smiled at him and he helped me place the flowers on top of the tombstone. 

"Hi Baby, I am so sorry it took me weeks to revisit you. I promise to make it up to you. But don't forget that Mommy loves you always."

"What happened to him?" Cid asked. 

"He died an hour after I gave birth to him. Blue baby. He was born with a congenital heart defect."

Tears started falling on my cheeks. The events that happened on that day flashed back to me. 

Seven months after I left New York (Five Years Ago)

"Mama Jane, please tell them I want my baby, they have to save my baby! Please!" 

"Aya, calm down. The doctors know what to do. I will be with you."

"What is happening? Please help my baby! No!!!"

"Aya, please calm down. I am sorry, Aya. Please calm down. Mama Jane is here."

"It can't be... I need my baby! I want my baby. Please, my baby!"

"Mama Jane, my baby is gone... I feel like I'm dying again... The pain is killing me!"

"Oh, Aya! I am so sorry. Be strong, Aya. Mama Jane will not leave you!"

"Nurse! Please help us! Aya fainted!"

***

"Aya, are you okay? Please stop crying," said Cid as he handed me his handkerchief.

"I'm sorry, I am okay. I just remembered something."

"Do you always come here? Is that why you want to arrange the flowers?" asked Cid.

I nodded. This time, I do not know why Cid is not a stranger. I feel comfortable having him see me in my most vulnerable. 

"I will be on that bench across. Take your time Aya."

Cid sat on the bench across from Angel's tomb. Being alone looking at Angel's tombstone, I felt the same killer pain five years ago. Remember when I said that Marc killed me? That pain was nothing compared to the unexplainable pain I felt when my baby died seven months after. That day I died for the second time- a more painful death. 

"Baby, Mommy misses you always. There will be no day sadder than the day you said goodbye."

As I stood up and looked to where Cid was sitting, I saw him talking on his phone. When he looked at me, I started walking toward him. Then, finally, I could hear the last part of his conversation.

"Send it to the name and address I texted you. I have to go." Cid placed his phone in his pocket.

"We should go now. I don't want to take so much of your time. The more in a place like this." I said.

"Don't worry about it, Aya. I'm happy to come here with you. Anytime." 

We both went back to W. He said he parked there his car and I will wait for Jane so we can go home together. 

Before we enter W, I said thank you and goodbye to Cid. But he called my name as I was about to get inside.

"Aya, wait. I want us to start right."

He reached out his right hand to me and said. 

"My name is Cid Wal... Williams. I want to know more about you. Please let me."

***