Chapter 22: Feud

I a n

After spending the afternoon with Vanessa, everything else after seemed bleak. Even more so, the fact that I was heading to the Hollingsworth mansion in a matter of minutes to demand that my father's wishes be upheld.

It was some minutes past six, Dylan had texted a little earlier to let me know his mother was back and had settled in, indicating the meeting would start anytime soon.

Grabbing my coat and car keys, I left the building and left for the mansion. My mind wandered to Vanessa and the fact that she sensed something was up. Perhaps I should have told her about the predicament, but then again, the last thing I wanted was to scare Vanessa away by letting her know so early the level of cruel that existed within this...family.

She was a good woman – one I hoped would stick around long enough so something fruitful could be bred from our relationship. I didn't plan on messing things up and although in the coming days, my life would seem like a rollercoaster, I just hoped she was willing to tag along for the ride.

....

The gates to the mansion opened and after a brief security check, I was granted access – thanks to Dylan. I parked and was on my way to the front door when it opened up and Dylan presented himself.

"Glad you could make it. They've just started."

"Yeah, I wouldn't miss this for anything," i said as I made my way inside.

"This way," Dylan directed, gaining the lead.

We went inside and as we drew closer towards the room, faint chatter could be heard from inside. With his hand planted around the doorknob, Dylan gave me one final glance, a look of nervousness in his eyes before he pushed it open.

The chatter continued as Dylan entered but as soon as I made my way inside, the talking ceased to a moment of silence that was short-lived.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Diane shouted, her face a canvas of anger.

I noticed Danny and George was also present, an expression on their face similar to Diane's. In the far corner was Spencer who had a resigned look on his face.

"Get the fuçk out, you're not welcomed here!" George seethed from his chair.

I scoffed. "If this house was yours, I'd consider but it's not. Anyway I don't want to be in your presence for much longer, i'm only here to tell you that whatever bullshit you have planned to bury my father here, forget it," I said as calm as I could.

Diane laughed dryly. "And who the hell do you think you are?–"

"Someone you don't want to mess with. Dad made it very clear that he wanted to be buried in Clearlake beside his parents, not here beside fuçking strangers!" I hissed.

Diane straightened in her chair, her face stern as she stared at me. "Maybe you've forgotten, but moguls like Gregory aren't buried in middle-class cemeteries like nobodies. He deserves better."

I scoffed. "He deserves what he asked for. To be put beside his family. Somehow you are forgetting that the man built himself from the ground up to be where he is now. He wasn't born a millionaire and you weren't either Diane, so perhaps you'd like to step off that high horse of yours and experience the dirt you were before my father made you into something," I rasped with despise.

"How dare you come in here and talk to our mother like that?!" Danny hissed, now upright in the chair as he glowered at me with hatred.

"Everyone calm down, I'm sure this can be resolved without insults or what seems to be impending violence," Dylan cut in shyly.