77. Yes Capo

___________________
.
.
.
"Fuck!" Mateo slammed in his fist on the table.

"Should have thought once before saying bullshit to your wife." Adam was glowering at his best friend. On a normal day, he was the one who was scared of Mateo but when his best friend did something utterly stupid like he did a while ago, Adam knew how to be the elder angry brother.

"What do I do now?" He looked up at his best friend.

"Apologize...!!!" Adam exclaimed; it was the most obvious thing to do, wasn't it? He just needed to genuinely apologize and admit he was wrong to say what he did.

Mateo sighed as he played with his phone. "But she refuses to pick up her phone. I even tried to get to her through Victor's phone but she blocked me out."

"Well, the doc is just as short-tempered as you, now isn't she?" Adam rolled his eyes, thinking about how his niece and nephew would turn out in the future considering they were carbon copies of their parents. "Except she handles it very maturely, keeping in mind how it would affect the kids."

Adam emphasized the words 'affect the kids', because he knew that it would really affect the two babies if their parents started fighting again and he also knew that this was not one of those fights which would be resolved too quickly considering the two parties were miles apart.

"I will try to contact her again." Mateo sighed as he got up from his chair, taking his phone with him as he walked out of his office.

He called River one more time but she declined his call before it could ring more than once.

He took a deep breath, deciding to try his luck with Victor again.

"Capo.." Victor answered the call, his voice low and humble with the utmost respect for his leader.

"Where is my wife?" Mateo asked. He and River were not married, but the façade had been going on for so long and the couple treated each other somewhat like how one would treat their spouse so it just came naturally to the both of them.

"Capo, Mrs. Adesso is visiting the hospital. I think she is going to start working today." He said, worried how his superior would react. Victor was to inform him of River's every move but he had been intimidated by River into not calling Mateo to tell him anything about what she was up to. But the Capo had called and asked himself; that constituted a loophole, didn't it?

Mateo was not surprised to hear that. He expected something of the sort because River always busied herself with some kind of work when she was in a bad mood and he thought that there was nothing better for her to do than to go back to the work that she loved the most in the world. He was going to call the Director of the hospital to ask him to do whatever was necessary to make his baby mama feel at home.

But what he really did pay attention to in the simple sentences that Victor had spoken was how he had addressed River as Mrs. Adesso. He loved hearing that. It made him feel so much better, feel that no matter what River was all his, but he knew that his baby mama would not be too happy to hear that though she never raised any objection to others calling her that.

"Alright, make sure you have your eyes on her at all times." Mateo ordered. "And make sure that nobody is tailing her."

"Yes Capo. I will protect her with my life." Victor said earnestly. River was, after all, the wife of their Capo and he saw the opportunity to protect her as an honor.

Mateo rolled his eyes. The Alpha male was slightly annoyed at how his subordinate had earnestly expressed his devotion towards the Capo's wife, putting into words something that was Mateo's to say.

"Sure." He said, his voice clipped. "And address her as Dr. Johnson; that's the identity she worked so hard to make." He said with utmost confidence. He was proud of who his baby mama was, so proud that Lucas and Kiara would always be Lucas Johnson and Kiara Johnson. He didn't think that his coming into their lives should change that because he believed he was nowhere his baby mama stood. Sometimes he thought about adding Adesso to their names, not taking away Johnson from their names of course, but he never had the time to have that conversation with River yet.

"Yes Capo." Victor said again.

Mateo didn't converse with him any longer. He quickly hung up the phone and called the Director of the hospital, Mr. Simmons.

"H-Hello?" The man started stuttering as soon as he saw the caller ID.

"Is my wife with you right now?" He asked, his voice intimidating. He was always going to be hard on this particular man so that he would cover at his feet and do as he wanted when it came to his River.

"He just left Mr. Adesso." The Director's voice was low and filled with obvious fear. "I tried to stop her but she is starting her shift today evening. Trust me Sir, I told her that she can take all the time she wants but she was adamant and I didn't know what to do and I am sure you understand because you know how she is, right? Dr. Adesso is a very stubborn woman and-" The man was blabbering away due to his nervousness but Mateo silenced him with a mere cluck of his tongue.

"Who the hell are you to tell her what to do?"

The question caught Mr. Simmons off-guard.

"What?" He asked dumbly.

Mateo let out a deep sigh out of exasperation. He didn't know someone like this man managed to become the Director of one of the best hospitals in the country, and then he realized that he had married the owner's daughter to inherit that place.

"Let her do as she pleases." He said slowly, making sure that the man on the other end would not miss even a word. "Your job is to make sure she does not overwork and that nobody upsets her."

"Of course Sir." The Director squeaked meekly.

"You know I have eyes and ears everywhere, right?" Mateo asked, but there was an threatening undertone to it; the Capo didn't have to mention the consequences for Mr. Simmons to know what would happen if things didn't go the way Mateo wanted it to.

"Of course I do Sir. You don't need to worry about this matter at all. I will make sure that Dr. Adesso is comfortable here and has no kind of-"

"Her name is Dr. River Johnson and I am glad to see that you have an idea of what you are doing." He shut him up. "But if you continue blabbering like this and give her identity as my wife out, you can say goodbye to your life on earth."

Mr. Simmons gulped, knowing that Mateo Adesso did not bluff.

"I will do an impeccable job, Sir." He was making that promise more to himself than to anyone else. His life was dear to him and he did not want to die by the hands of a made man of the Mafia any time soon.

"Good."

.

.

.

_________________________________