Code of Conflict Part 1

I think I know better than anyone else that no reward comes without plenty of risks. The more we attain, the more we must sacrifice. And as I stared down the barrel of a gun aimed straight at my heart, I wonder how much that creed holds truth. My name is Yamato Lee A.K.A. Marauder, and I'm a crusader who's trying to take advantage of a world gone mad. But to truly understand my tale, I would have to start at our beginning.

7 Days Ago

Lucas Masters/Algorithm Pov

Whether it be a business deal or corporate meeting, one question has always defined my entire career. How can you push yourself into the unknown and still come out on top? And that all centers around one answer that even a monkey could understand; I was entirely confident. Fear is nothing more than a shackle, and time and time again, it has held humanity back from what we could truly achieve. To have fear is to cower but to have confidence is to stride. And at the end of the day, it is confidence that has made my Crusaders equals in arms, and it is confidence that will grant us victory in our mission of unity. 

It was now late March, three months after the violent Vacuum stormed through Philadelphia, and out of the ashes, we managed to create 800 strong members that answer to the 8 of us equally. While our plan to expose the Champions failed, the chaos we've sowed has put a good portion of America on their sight, from the media and Purifiers alike. This means that their now gridlocked movements can give us the perfect opportunity to make our next step. And when we are successful, it will only be a matter of time before the entire world follows our code of conflict. 

Matthew Straits/Slime POV

These past few months have positively been some of the best of my life. For once, I've felt as invincible as my body. I got that cut of the world that I deserved, and I realize now more than ever that Mr. Masters is on the right track. The old world didn't exactly give me any favors, but this new one had all kinds of opportunities. He saw potential in me when I had hit rock bottom, and I'll be damned if I waste the only chance I've ever gotten. That good streak seemed to continue into the mid-afternoon as I ate the best steak I've ever had in my private room I usually couldn't afford. But that got interrupted when I got a call on my phone; a summon from the boss himself. And with that, I gave no hesitation, instead coming up with an unorthodox solution. In one move, I decided to crush the steak into my now slimy arm and absorb it into my body while moving out.

Unsurprisingly I was the one who arrived first on the scene, Mr. Masters and I exchanged in a casual high five. From there, we patiently waited in the war room while the rest of the team walked in. It's been half a year since I've gotten to meet everyone, but even then, I still couldn't get a good read. Calling us friends would be a stretch, and partners were too chummy for even my liking. All I do know is that for once, I felt like an equal amongst big wigs, and I sure as hell wasn't going to question it. Marauder's venomous scowl, Ursa's predatory paranoia, Gyro and Barrier's joint arrogant looks, Rebound's eager eyes, and Scale's apathetic stare were all met with Mr. Masters' steely yet precise gaze. I've seen this plenty of times, which is why I know why we all follow him, no questions asked. Because even with no powers, the boss radiated certainty. His demeanor, honesty, and charisma all screamed that he could do whatever he wanted no matter how crazy the action seemed. Once we all sat down at the table, the gravity multiplied tenfold as we all hung on Mr. Masters' next words.

"Greetings comrades, I'm assuming that all goes well for your factions."

"You could say that we've had to put down a couple of fires here and there, but all across the board, we've made an effective totem pole. They may not be the most powerful Helixes, but they know their place. But I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, what comes next?" Marauder said in a greedy yet poised verbal attack.