Mysteries

The Department of Mysteries was a section of the Ministry of Magic that carried out confidential research. Most of its operations were carried out in total secrecy. Few wizards within the Ministry actually knew what was located within this department. It lay on the second-lowest level of the Ministry of Magic, Level Nine. It was accessible via the lifts from the Ministry Atrium. This level bore a striking difference to those above: the black-tiled walls were bare with no windows and no doors, apart from a plain black one at the end of the corridor that led into the Department proper. The light was provided only by torches, which glowed with a blue-white light. A small flight of steps to the left led to Level Ten.

It was not difficult to bring Remus into the Ministry unnoticed. It was Sunday and there was almost no one. The few who could be seen in the corridors were mostly hurried employees who were forced to finish their work on the weekend. Remus and I hadn't said a word from our conversation on the stairs. He was silent the whole time on our way to the Mystery Department, and to be honest, I was a little angry at the memory of his last words about Bill and me. As much as I was excited about the Order's task, I despaired at the sight of his frown face.

When we reached the corridor on the Ninth Floor, there was no one there. Our footsteps echoed deafly. The ghost of this floor and the dim light made me shiver.

"We have to find a way and where to hide in case anyone passes by. There's no way we can justify wandering around the Department, even you, as an employee of the Ministry, "Remus said for the first time.

"Kingsley gave me an idea. Come, " I replied, and led him to the bottom of the corridor near the Department's black door.

Between the large black columns protruding from the walls was a narrow alcove in which we could hide.

"It's a little bit narrow," Remus said.

"If you have a better idea, I'm ready to accept it. But here we will have visibility to the door of the Department and if someone comes from the elevator. Besides, no one can see us unless he explicitly passes by and looks right here. "

Apparently, he had come to that conclusion, too, because he didn't object and just nodded to me. In fact, it was really quite narrow. We had to sit facing each other so that each of us could see one part of the corridor. Remus, who was over 6.2 ft tall, sat down first, his head almost touching the ceiling of the alcove. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't avoid the touch between us. He didn't seem to mind at all. Leaning his hands on his bent knees, he held his wand in one and watched the exit to the lift.

It was terribly awkward for me to be inches away from him and at the same time to feel him so far away. I began to wonder if I would be able to tell him anything at all. Time passed slowly. The lack of communication between us made it even more difficult. Great. And I was so excited about the task. I wouldn't stand another such duty.

"Does anyone know something more about the Mystery Department?" I asked him quietly, trying to at least talk about something. My voice was so faint when I spoke the words and could barely look Remus in the face. I avoided his eyes for so many reasons. I was afraid of what I'd find there. After a silent minute, I glanced briefly at him.

He met my gaze, obviously hesitant to answer me, but in the end, Professor Lupin prevailed. He loved to know the answer to something and to teach others. I managed to keep my smile.

"Various mysteries of the world were studied there, including love, space, thought, time, death, and others. Few wizards within the Ministry actually knew what was located within this department. Those who worked in the Department were known as Unspeakables because of the confidential nature of their work. The autonomous nature of the Department of Mysteries granted the Unspeakables a great deal of impunity, as they were the only division that did not need to answer to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and to the Minister of Magic himself. "

"I have met one of them several times - Broderick Bode. He is a sallow-skinned wizard with a very mournful face. Judging by this, I strongly doubt that he has discovered the secret of love and time. " I joked.

Remus smiled too, but his next words were a little bitter.

"Or maybe that's why he looks like that."

I looked him in the eye, for the first time he did not look away. I had forgotten how wonderful their shades were. Even in the dim light, I could see the thousands of colors that shone in them. Now or never.

"Remus, I ..." I began, gaining courage. "I want to apologize for everything I did to you. All those things I told you before I left were awful. "

"No need to apologize" he interrupted me never taking his eyes off me. "It's all my fault. I shouldn't have started this between us in the beginning. I imagined too many things. I shouldn't have believed that this could last long."  There was that sadness again in his eyes, he always tried to hide.

I felt tears well up in the corner of my eyes. I shouldn't have cried right now, I had to tell him everything I wanted. "Rem, there wasn't really a shred of truth in my words. I haven't stopped loving you, I just wanted to protect you. Now I realize how stupid it sounds and I curse myself for hurting you. " My tears clouded my eyes and I couldn't see his reaction, but it didn't matter anymore. "The only thing that kept me sane during past months was the thought that I wanted to see you at least one more time. And now, when you are inches apart, I can't think adequately and I act even more stupid. I know I can't expect anything from you like before, but at least I beg you not to avoid me when you see me. And our conversations should not end in awkward silence. I miss the ease with which we communicated. I miss everything about you - your smile, which is only for me, your hugs, your lips ... " I could not go on, my chest would burst from the emotions I was feeling at that moment. I covered my face with my hands. I couldn't stand the pity or the hate in his eyes.

To my surprise, I felt his fingers gently pull my hands away from my face. I looked at him, his features relaxed, his eyes were tender and soft. He pulled me close and kissed me on the lips. Slowly, as if waiting for my permission. My heart was pounding in my chest and I couldn't believe it was really happening. Or I dreamed again. I pulled away from him for a moment and pinched myself.

"What?" He asked me in surprise.

"I want to see if I'm dreaming."

"I'll do it too to make sure you're real. Or I may have died and gone to heaven. " He smiled and pulled me to kiss me again.

I moved forward and despite the narrow space, I managed to straddle his lap. I leaned to his chest. "This is not heaven..." I kissed him deeply and I felt his hands press against my low back. "It's a better place..." I unbuttoned slowly his shirt and pants and his hands took off my blouse until our skin touched. I didn't care that anyone could see us. The important thing was that I was in his arms again.

He slid his hands under my skirt, lifting it slightly up. I felt his fingers pull the edges of my knickers. He was more than ready for me and I rose up only to lift sink down on him slowly making us both gasps. It was slow the way his hands guided my hips and he kissed me with a gentle passion as we moved together. Not a word was spoken only the sharp breathing as our mouths tasted each other. His eyes watched with a fascination and I couldn't look away from him. It wasn't rough or fast. It was just us together. Merlin, how I missed that.

Soft moans mixed with kisses as I moved on top of him and felt it building quickly. I was so lost in all that and I began to shake in his arms. Remus kissed me deeply and I could feel him follow me into that bliss. His head rested on the wall as eyes stared into my soul. I looked down at him and knew I would follow him anywhere. I couldn't imagine feeling this way for another man.

For a while, we frantically tried to catch our breaths. I felt my heart begin to settle down when he rested his forehead on mine. Fingers gently moved the damp strands of my hair away. There was a mixture of adoration, love, guilt, and something else behind his eyes. Remus sighed deeply and dipped his head into the curve of my neck.

"Dear Merlin, woman... Why can't I think clearly when you're around me? We are on duty in the middle of the Ministry of Magic "he leaned back against the wall, smiling at me.